Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:27:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KVR movie theme  (Read 8011 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 05, 2010, 09:33:43 PM »

Cool
This month theme, over there, is to produce a theme tune for a movie (real or imaginary)

This is mine.

Back To The Island.

This is the theme to the (imaginary) movie about a family who were part of the mass emigrations, from the British Isles, to USA and Australia in the 1850’s.  This particular story is about the observations and feelings of a modern day branch of this family and of how they pick up the thread of life as their great grand-parents would have known it.

Cast list:
Adam Black S-5 acoustic
Aria AMB-50 bass
Ozark bouzouki
Generation whistles
Bodhran
StringZ
Technical staff:
ReaFir
BackStageEQOne
Overtone EQ
Classic Compressor
Classic Reverb
GlaceVerb
Production Director:
REAPER 3.6

Wink
James

* The Last of England.jpg (65.13 KB, 410x460 - viewed 479 times.)
* 1008_offthewall_BackToTheIsland.mp3 (4204 KB - downloaded 396 times.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:40:51 PM by offthewall » Logged

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »

Embarrassed
apologies .... anyone downloaded this song within a couple of minutes of the original post ... please delete and d/l again ... I posted the wrong version, but realised within minutes !!  Huh

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:50:52 PM »

James,

Very pretty finger pickin' goin' on...very tranquil melodies that sets sail to one's imagination.
CoolThe metallic resonance & reverb of the guitars,along with the flute,give a very brisk interpretation of what those cold northern Atlantic waters must have been like on their trip abroad.
The perfect aural escape from this horrid summer weather!

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »

Shocked
Many thanks, Thom.

I value your opinion, my friend ... particularly with these recordings of 'real' instruments. I know how well tuned your ears are to the nuances of mixes  Roll Eyes  .... and if YOU don't give me any criticism ... then it MUST be OK.  Grin  Thanks again.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:08 PM »

I just listened to the new version....I much preferred the other,despite it being the "wrong" version. Huh

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »

Embarrassed
Yes ... sorry ....

The first version I made ... I had the whole thing dripping with so much reverb that the instrumentation was drowned out.
After trying that one out I realised that I should be attempting to give the impression, in the first part of the tune, of the simplicity of life as it would have been for the original emigrants.  The 'stripped back' sense of the natural instruments ... to be followed by the final section, where the subsequent generation is 'coming home', and introducing the big reverb then to emphasise the impact of their discoveries.  Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes Well .... that was the theory, anyway  Roll Eyes
 Grin
Thanks for listening.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 10:28:01 PM »

James,

The way that I work,is if I have in mind to drench a lead sound & whatever layers that go along with it,I will leave the bass dry(except for the amp modeling effect) and as far s drums,I will use a very light "room" effect.

In my opinion,due to the sharpness & clarity of your guitars,I thought that the reverb was fine....but perhaps you might try back off of the reverb by a very slight margin and see how it sounds to you.

I am also of the opinion,that due to the extraordinary clarity & cleanliness of software effects,there is much more of an allowance to go wild with reverb,without overwhelming an instrument.

-Thom

mvrasseli

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »

The music match well with the movie.I think the mix is perfect, someday I'll get that level...

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 06:31:10 PM »

The music match well with the movie.I think the mix is perfect, someday I'll get that level...

Me too!

I do believe this is your best to date James wOO

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »

Oops. Nearly missed this.

As usual, you're in a class of your own with such folk oriented material. There is nothing at all I would change, except maybe the end. Obviously there is a time constraint but I would liked this to go on Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: