Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:29:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Initial Impressions(Zoom R24)  (Read 6984 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: August 11, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »

Just received my new toy today & after about 12 hours of playing with it,I have a pretty good handle on most of it's functions.
Since I was in dire need of an upgrade in a hardware recorder...one that could match the quality of a software platform,the Zoom R24 was the logical choice.
The single most incredible thing about this Zoom product,is the sheer sonic prowess of this machine & how brilliant in design,form & function & all at an insane low price of $500(got mine for $465 @ Zzounds.com).
Zoom was able to achieve this by leaving out the hard drive, & the CD burner...which is perfect for the work that I do in my studio,as I merely needed a means of converting my Korg M3 material to my PC & there is no better way to do this,even at twice the price!

As it is now in the gear world,no other portable recorder on the market delivers 24 tracks of 24 bit @ 48kHz recording & oh man,what a world of difference from my Tascam 2488neo!!

Advantages over the Tascam; no degradation of sound quality with WAV imports/exports and with WAV imports & exports,there is zero waiting time,as no on-board file conversion is necessary!
The preamps are cleaner & the overall menu functions are lightening fast,making for very efficient work-flow.

Being a veteran owner of Zoom products over the years,I know their effects are clean as well...but unfortunately,I have not had the pleasure of testing the effects on the R24 and here's why...brace yourself though,as you better be prepared to be shocked;

The R24's effects do not work in the 48kHz recording mode....what the f**k???!!!!

Being that I have plenty of effects to work with outside of the R24's effects(in the 44.1kHz mode),it's not a major issue for me,but I am still majorly disappointed nonetheless,as there are 100 effects to choose from & I cannot use a single one,as I refuse to work in 44.1kHz(as this is one of the primary reasons I chose the R24).
I suppose that Zoom's reason for this,is that the R24 doubles as a DAW controller & with their partnership with Cubase,Zoom encourages you to utilize the software effects,instead.
Roll Eyes

All in all though,the R24 brings very high fidelity at a very low price,& that's all I really needed.

* Edge Of The Earth(ZR24 mix).mp3 (7889.17 KB - downloaded 390 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:15:58 AM »

Cheesy

* Zoom R24 003.JPG (2823.45 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 1285 times.)

* Zoom R24 004.JPG (2853.01 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 2206 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: