Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:11:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shelter: synths, percussion and orchestra having a strange meeting  (Read 9523 times)
Frederik

« on: May 17, 2007, 08:52:10 PM »

This is a total revision of a much older piece (some may know it from way back at the old auditorium)

It's a combination of slow synths and (newly added) orchestra (with an oboe doing lead) with some fast percussion.

all thoughts and suggestions on this one are appreciated!

bye,

frederik
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 08:16:04 PM by Frederik » Logged
Northern_Fist

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:59:07 PM »

This I gotta hear...

Crazed!  This is interestingly fresh and furiously original in many ways.  However, it does sound like symphonic electronica, and the way I like it.  There are times that the instruments sound very busy or hectic, but I suppose that's the mood you were going for.

It's a tad short, so I suppose the arrangement could use some work, but all in all, I think you've got something going.  I also think that the bass that usually strikes two notes at a bar could be compressed and eq-ed just a little differently.  Otherwise, it's bangin'.

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »

Good ideas in there Frederik,
it realy get's of in a movement of sounds
a great combination of classic composition skills & electronic instruments  Cool
love it !

i'm curious for the definitive version of this one

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »

You've something going here, frederik!  Great theatre vibe. I need to learn how to write in this style.

Frederik

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »

Thanks a lot for the replies, Northern Fist, Kara and Fred!

@ Northern Fist: you're right about the bass sound, it does sound flat. I might replace it by a whole different kind of bass.

@ Kara: it will take some time to make a definite version of this one, I'm afraid ;-)

@ Fred: I'm sure you can write stuff like this... just let go every so called rule and try combining lotsa different things till something fresh comes out... (after thousands of awful ugly clashes as is the case with my work)

bye,

frederik
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »

Hi frederik
I love this one, this is one of the best tracks you submitted here. Very good inspiration, it sounds fresh and innovative, I like the unusual melodies and orchestration.
I think the sound of the cymbals is a bit confused (the crash more than the hi-hat) but all the other sounds blends really well.
A really nice one

Cheers
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 08:24:47 PM »

Nice piece, Frederik.

I have some remarks though. I think the mix could use some widening concerning the panning of the instruments. The mix sounds a bit crowded in places.
Also the 100 hz - 300 Hz area is a bit too dominant which makes the mix somewhat muddy. You'd have to experiment which instruments are the cause of this and eq them accordingly. Maybe the 500 Hz area needs some cutting down as well.
Anyway you will find that it will make your mix much more transparent.
blipp
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 08:33:46 PM »

I totally agree with Laguna, this is one of your best tracks ever. This track is fantastic and melodically totally entrancing. Superb track.  Grin
Frederik

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:13:08 AM »

Thanks Laguna, Martin and Blipp for your kind replies and suggestions!

@ Laguna: I'll check the cymbals  Wink

@ Martin: I guess you're right about the panning and EQ'ing.
The panning is something I should easily be able to resolve, but the EQ thing is far more difficult for me. You see, I'm really bad at that...
Whenever I start to cut out, or drop down certain frequencies (or frequency bands) I feel as if the instrument in question doesn't sound full or realistic anymore. Of course this can be due to the fact that I tend to overdo those kind of things.
And then this is the point where I tend to get stuck, and leave things the way they are  Undecided
Maybe I should try harder and spend more time finetuning my mixes...

bye,

frederik
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

2 advices Frederick

-Don't mix on headphones
-Don't listen to the instruments, listen to mix; I know, not easy but with practise you'll learn.

ok and a 3th as a bonus
-It's not about what you hear, it's all about what you DON'T hear !

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Frederik

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:44:28 AM »

Thanks for the tips Kara!

It's number two that gives me troubles most: I tend to focus on the different instruments when mixing, trying to make them all sound as good as possible - but as you said, this can harm the total sound on the mix, with sounds fighting for attention in the same frequency range etc...

Hope that with time I'll get better at this  Undecided

bye,

Frederik
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »

Just to add my bit Frederik.

For the sake of the mix you have to compromise the sound of the individual instruments. It's something I've learned the past few years. In the past I always went for the best possible sound of each instrument. I found out that's not the way to do it. For example the bass. Nowadays I sometimes have a very thin sounding bass on my basstrack. But in the mix this is all compensated by the influence of other instruments. So in the mix the bass doesn't sound thin at all. And as a bonus because I've cut down some of the lows of the bass I did create more room for other instruments in the same frequency range.

This is just one example.

Try to experiment. It's not something that will come to you in a day.  And really, I'm not saying I know how to do it all. I'm still learning as well.
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 10:28:55 PM »

Hey Frederik!

This mastering discussion is interesting and reminds me of our work together several months ago. I ended up liking the final master quite a lot, and the last I heard, you were still unsure. Actually, I liked the first mix ok! Add to that, I'm sure there would be fans and critics of the same final mix would we post it again now!!

I think there are some general keys to listen for and some general adjustments to make in certain situations, but, there are also clear individual preferences. The process probably parallels music in general in that its an art form and improves as you practice. Some of us are definitely better at this then others, and I'm still in the "others" group  Wink

However, I've personally settled in on a process that I think is working better for me lately ...and I've decided that if a little is good, a lot is not necessarily better when comes to mastering. Get the mix as good as possible, then its a little of this, a little of that, and a little cleaning up.

magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »

Hi F,

cool and original tune! I enjoyed the melodic work.
It has a special mood.
I agree with kara and Martin, only the mix counts.
I have a majority of tunes where, if you listen the instruments one by one, some seems horrible but all together it's great.
Of course some instruments needs more work than others, but trying to correct all sounds one by one is a mess.

Great song anyway!

bye

mag

Frenchy but chic
Mellotronaut

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 06:07:13 PM »

This is a fantastic piece of music, very special feel!
Only complaint: too much reverb.

m
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: