Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:56:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: what says you: it's my first effort  (Voting closed: November 10, 2010, 07:16:05 AM)
it's a keeper - 0 (0%)
light trimming only - 1 (50%)
tweak it here and there - 0 (0%)
let me grab an axe - 1 (50%)
direction landfill - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gimme Some More  (Read 18696 times)
ATN

« on: October 20, 2010, 07:16:05 AM »

well, still not sure if that's the way to post this onhere  Undecided
I'm a newbie
thanks to Oren for the invite to this community and for editing/mastering this opus
cheers from the West Coast,
Étienne

* GimmeSomeMore.sATNam.ogg (6752.33 KB - downloaded 358 times.)

that learning curve is steep! anyone can lend me a jetpack?
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:40:21 AM »

Hi Etienne

Welcome here !
It certainly has a good groove and it builds up nicely.
For my personnal taste the buildup is to slow, but that's just my taste, I know that it's a typical club mix.

All in all, it's a good production.
A bit to long to my taste, but I guess that's the standard now for that type of music.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »

Hi Etienne,

Nice to have you here. Cool I concur with Kara...a stone groove...makes you want to freaky-deaky! Afro I'm aware that this is the standard length for club music,but I think something more musical than just a beat & rhythmic sounds would make those 7 minutes pass more interestingly.
I think a simple bass line,as well as a riff & some chords in certain segments would really bring a lot of impact to this piece.At least for me anyway,to have some melodies in dance music is something that really stirs me up...something that would stick in my head.

Melodic dance music is so distinctive,as it provides a powerful emotional impact that you can't forget.Back in the day,one of my favorite club bands was New Order,as not only could you could dance your butt off to it to no end,but you could really zone out & relax to it as well...it was really a great escape.

As good as this piece is & in as much as I like it,I think it's still  just a foundation for something more,but I am speaking from my personal pallet.

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »

...cheers from the West Coast,
Étienne

Good to see you in action here, Etienne
There are folks here who know the genre, and will provide all kinds of suggestions for possible improvements.
My only observation: We should have made it LOUDER Cheesy

P.S....The original composition is actually 3 minutes longer than presented here, comprised of an extended introduction. In order to fit within the 8mb file size limit, we shortened the file. Etienne felt the ogg vorbis compression sounded better, so he posted only that, and not the MP3 version.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:09:50 PM by Oren » Logged

ATN

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »

oh my my my Oren, LOUDER would be GREAT
Thom, I tried (for countless hours) to insert a trumpet solo inhere but had to scratch that idea  Cry  it just sounded terrible. If you are inspired to synth up a sax (or chords  Huh ), I'd be pleased to hear what you come up with. Thank you for your elaborate feedback. New Order is a huge influence, alongside Depeche Mode of course, and NIN. I too long for the melodic that I loved so much in the trip hop era (Portishead, Lamb and Tricky).
Kara, indeed it is a current trend in electronic music and you are right: it is a club mix! and also a submission to a remix contest for Steve Lawler's record label Viva Mus!c. Such a production requires an intro and outro that a Dj will be able to use for mixing one track into the next.

In the studio today to tweak around like a mad man  Evil and will post a new version shortly
This site rocks! Thank you  Grin

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:19:35 AM »

ATN,

I'd be happy to integrate with your groove,but I was wondering if you would be willing to send me all of your tracks individually in WAV or OGG format via YouSendIt?
That's the way we work it here,in order to maintain high fidelity & a balanced mix.However,if your not comfortable doing it that way,I'll just work with your MP3.....just let me know & I'll post my e-mail here.

-Thom

ATN

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 09:46:06 AM »

Much happier with this new version (clocking at 8 minutes)
it has a different intro and an edit of the chorus to glide with the slight build up
I also have improved the transition to the vocals and brought back the drum machine at the end
you guys are the first to hear the progress [had to be .ogg again]
very fine tuning (on EQ and compressors) will have to wait til later
Étienne 2:22 am
crank the volume up!  Cool

* GimmeSMsATNamRemix.ogg (7615.14 KB - downloaded 353 times.)

ATN

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:37:20 PM »

I'd be happy to integrate with your groove,but I was wondering if you would be willing to send me all of your tracks individually in WAV or OGG format via YouSendIt?

thanks again Thom,
the newbie feels a tad daunted by the task... I'd need another session with Oren to figure out how to do that. I am not familiar with YSI and in the software I use (Ableton Live) there are currently 24 files, each with lots of clips...
I'll be sure to educate myself about the best ways of sharing for the sake of collaboration, but since I am pressed with time (there is a deadline for this contest) maybe you can apply a teaser of what you hear "over" the tune instead on "inside" it this time around.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

Etienne,
Nice job of the new mix, editing, and a schweet Ogg Vorbis production

Thom,
If you could work with a 16/44.1 wave file of the original mix, I'll yousendit your way...

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:48:50 AM »

Etienne,

I like the bass line quite a bit,as it fits like a glove. Cool However though,I found the bass line to be a bit weak & overpowered by the bass drum.
I'd like to suggest that you back off of the bass drum a bit & bring up the bass a tad more.Judging by this mix,I'm guessing that your monitors or headphones,are too bright in the mid-range and lacking in the low end...which typically occur with 5" studio monitors,particularly with the KRK Rokit series.

Since Oren stepped in and offered me your WAV files,I'll get cracking on those when I recieve them from him. Cool

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 02:59:33 AM »

By the way Etienne,we're all here at your disposal...for any assistance you may need with file sharing,recording techniques,gear advice...whatever...always glad to help break in newbies.

Just 3 years ago,I was exactly in the same spot you're in now and these fine cats here,whipped me into shape in no time flat! Shocked Cool

-Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

Intr'stin'

I wasn't too keen on the first version but that bass line really adds a new dimension. Still not really my 'thing' but good work anyway Cool

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
ATN

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »

Judging by this mix,I'm guessing that your monitors or headphones,are too bright in the mid-range and lacking in the low end...

simply blows my mind  Shocked that one can train their own ears to such a fine degree as to hear the EQing of a bass line
let's see if I can correct this (I believe toying with compressors might just do the trick)
Thanks a whole lot

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »

Welcome ATN to the forums.

I am not an expert in this genre however I do believe that the bass should be a lot louder, i.e more kick*ss!  But that could be just me.

Would you mind if I put some guitar leads in it?

Very good work here – I’m impressed!

The older I get the better I was!
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »

I believe toying with compressors might just do the trick

Yes it will. Use a side chain compressor on the kick and feed it with the bass. It will 'duck' the kick when the bass plays

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: