Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:00:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: what says you: it's my first effort  (Voting closed: November 10, 2010, 07:16:05 AM)
it's a keeper - 0 (0%)
light trimming only - 1 (50%)
tweak it here and there - 0 (0%)
let me grab an axe - 1 (50%)
direction landfill - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gimme Some More  (Read 18694 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 03:11:14 PM »

Judging by this mix,I'm guessing that your monitors or headphones,are too bright in the mid-range and lacking in the low end...

simply blows my mind  Shocked that one can train their own ears to such a fine degree as to hear the EQing of a bass line
let's see if I can correct this (I believe toying with compressors might just do the trick)
Thanks a whole lot

Etienne,

On the contrary,I was actually referring to the "EQ-ing" of powered speakers...meaning that people who-for instance,use studio monitors such as the KRK Rokits(particularly the ones with the 5 inch bass cone)...these speakers do not provide enough bass and output too much of the higher frequencies.
As a result of this,one tends to overcompensate for what they cannot hear,by boosting the volume and/or EQ settings to a level that sounds balanced on said monitors-when in fact,the recording actually has an overabundance of bass,of which you can hear clearly on other systems.

I myself don't mess with compression much-as I'm no expert,but I agree with what Kara mentioned.

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »

Etienne,

I tried to line up your WAV file that Oren sent me with my metronome in my Presonus DAW,but could not.If you could give me the tempo & time signature info,that would be great.

Thanks,

-Thom

ATN

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 12:29:13 AM »

oh my  Shocked I didn't know about "ducking" totally radso much to learn!!! thank you all for feedback and comments, they served me well and will certainly continue to effect future musical endeavours
  Cool you guys rock
there will be more of me onhere  Grin
I have posted my final version here   http://steve-lawler-remix.heroku.com/965   open for VOTING! 
Étienne aka sATNam

* GimmeSM.sATNam.Remix.ogg (7615.51 KB - downloaded 326 times.)

that learning curve is steep! anyone can lend me a jetpack?
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:17 PM »

Etienne,

Your new mix is spot on,as it's very well balanced. Cool I like that you've extended the bass line,because it is the heart of the tune,now.

As for rendering my own take on this mix..well...when you told me that you combined two different tempos(120 & 124),I knew I was in trouble! Embarrassed I changed the tempo in my DAW from 120 to 124 and I even messed around with different time signatures,but I just could not get anything to align properly.
It's superb in composition and you did a fantastic job on it,but if someone put a gun to my head-I'd be dead,as I'll never be able to sync up to it.I'm sorry,but I had to back out of this,as it's just beyond my capabilities.

Your latest version stands well as it is and for strictly a club tune,it's perfect...but if at some point you decide to add more musical elements to it-your the man for this job, as you possess the talent to pull it off on your own. Cool

I'm sure there will be something in the future that we can collaborate on,as I have merged with just about everyone on this forum.

-Thom
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 03:42:16 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »

...Your new mix is spot on,as it's very well balanced. Cool I like that you've extended the bass line,because it is the heart of the tune,now... It's superb in composition and you did a fantastic job on it... I'm sure there will be something in the future that we can collaborate on,as I have merged with just about everyone on this forum...

Now, that's a production! Improved in every way - crisp, punchy, and with enough variety to capture and hold the listener's attention.

(listen to Thom - he's some kind of natural frickin' wizard... Cheesy)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 05:27:58 AM »

Here's a chance for Thom to have a go at this. A definite 124bpm. Extra percussion from Hydrogen. Lawler's tracks remixed.

...I'm hoping for a large butt-kicking bass line, Thom, so I can apply some electrical guitar later... but do what moves you...
...if you want big files to work with, they're yours... Grin

* SLawlerReMix.ogg (4772.72 KB - downloaded 314 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »

Gimme dem phat files,so that I may get my groove on proper! Afro

Thanks Oren,

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »

Well....here's my take on the club funk...Elwood-style. Cool Those friggin' Hydrogen drums lacked quite a bit of punch & depth,so I did the best I could with them.
All that work that I put into Oren's drum track,has spawned some ideas for me to go in another direction & eventually come up with yet another version of this Slawler theme.

I hope this works for you Oren....let me know what else you may need.

-Thom

* Gimme Some More(master funk mix).mp3 (7681.46 KB - downloaded 358 times.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:40:23 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 10:02:32 PM »

This is how collabs uniquely work here wOO

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »

This is how collabs uniquely work here wOO

Beautiful! wOO

(Hydrogen is as deep as the programmer chooses to make it. I have a lot to learn... Wink)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 12:50:24 AM »

Thanks for the very spirited comment Will! Cool

@Oren........a little compression & some EQ can go a long way,but based on my experiences with drum samples,the meat of the sound is squarely based on the level of work that goes into recording a sample.
I have no idea of Hydrogen's potential,but I have noticed that some of my drum kits in my most recent Presonus update,have the most impressive sample quality-right out of the gate...which surpasses most everything else in my studio's drum sound arsenal(of which negates the need for any polishing).

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

I agree with Will

Great job gentlemen  wOO

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

Thank you Sir! Cool

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 06:21:47 AM »

...a little compression & some EQ can go a long way,but based on my experiences with drum samples,the meat of the sound is squarely based on the level of work that goes into recording a sample.
I have no idea of Hydrogen's potential,but I have noticed that some of my drum kits in my most recent Presonus update,have the most impressive sample quality-right out of the gate...which surpasses most everything else in my studio's drum sound arsenal(of which negates the need for any polishing).

I hear you, Thom. I'll work on that. Afro
Improved impact in Hydrogen is achieved by either layer existing sounds, importing samples and making your own "drumkit", or recording your own samples.
For now, compression and EQ on the percussion track is a good place to start.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: