Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:31:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of ambient music  (Read 12919 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 22, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »

A while ago I did two short pieces of ambient style music for the ustream gig that Percy and I did, to serve as 'something to play' in the hour before the gig started, so people could check their audio. Here's one of them, hope you like it! As a warning: it's really meant only as ambient music, so switch to loop in your player, relax and don't expect any hummable melodies! Wink

* MarcJX8P - The Setting Sun - 128.mp3 (4850.38 KB - downloaded 342 times.)

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »

Cool ambient Marc   Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »

Nice track - slightly spooky.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »

A while ago I did two short pieces of ambient style music for the ustream gig that Percy and I did...  Here's one of them, hope you like it!
Excellent compliment to your "Ocean Coast" theme from that ustream performance. wOO

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »

Ambient music at its best wOO

Great soundscape Marc

The older I get the better I was!
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

Cool, glad you all liked it! The track was made relatively quickly, mainly starting with my standard piano+pad sound and then layering lots of Omnisphere over it. Talking about Omnisphere, I really, really love that synth and I'm using it more and more. It has some awesome sounds and it really works great as a live synth (you can hear it in action a lot in the ustream gig we did).

I'm attaching the second ambient tune I did for the ustream gig to this post. It's the same base as the first tune, but this time I played a bell-like sound over it to create an 'area of interest' when chaining the two tunes after each other.

* MarcJX8P - The Setting Sun - Bells - 128.mp3 (4793.25 KB - downloaded 322 times.)

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »

Well, what a load of old bells Grin

This works very well.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »

LOL Grin

These tracks were quite fun to do. The main challenge was more to find a pallette of sounds that worked well together and then to try and not play memorable riffs/sequences. I actually find the last thing quite difficult. Not that I mean that I always come up with memorable tunes (far from it) but as my style of working is very much pattern based I tend to create patterns that I loop, vary and overlay and then come up with a tune over it. In this case, I found it easier to just let the sequencer record for a few minutes in one go and just improvise. I even left the quantise function untouched (mostly) Cheesy . Actually, the most annoying part about doing these tracks is doing the endmix because you have to keep listening very carefully to music that actually just wants to be a background.

And interesting sidenote is that I have had a lot of people comment about the music that Percy and I make as being very ambient-like, which is interesting as we never conceived the music as such. The tracks that I uploaded in this thread are what I consider ambient music. Still, I suppose it's a bit like jazz which is also a classification that's being used very broadly these days.

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »

Not exactly what I want to hear with my morning cup of coffee,because the idea is to wake up-not fall asleep! Tongue Cheesy Very soothing music that evokes wandering & thinking...most of which I do anyhow. Wink
I think you should use this music beyond a plausible means,& transmute this piece to a more colorful platform.This is a great foundation for a very memorable tune. Cool

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »

Hehe - don't say I didn't warn you, Thom! Grin I'll probably use components of these tracks in other tracks but the tracks themselves will probably not be remixed or so as it is easier to play something similar new so it'll fit a new track than to re-edit this.

Well, having said that: it's maybe easier to edit and loop this - but I've always found starting anew easier. Smiley

Also known as Marc JXP
isle3music

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:19 PM »

Hey Marc
Hope it's still ok to comment on this track bud,(only 2 months late  Embarrassed)wonderful sound design,wonderful chillout stuff.....I use Omnisphere in just about all my music,really like that beast.
Cheers
Rui
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »

Hi Rui,

Thanks for your comments - of course it's still ok to comment on it! Cool to hear you're enjoying Omnisphere as well; it's really amazing and some of the sounds on it are just gorgeous. And version 1.5 is imminent which should increase the possibilities for sound design and the list of presets even more...

Cheers,

Marc

Also known as Marc JXP
isle3music

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:51 PM »

Hi Rui,

Thanks for your comments - of course it's still ok to comment on it! Cool to hear you're enjoying Omnisphere as well; it's really amazing and some of the sounds on it are just gorgeous. And version 1.5 is imminent which should increase the possibilities for sound design and the list of presets even more...
Cheers,
Marc
Definitely,I will get the new version for sure,eventhough it's a bit of a hog on my computer(XP)....I still use it as often as possible
Cheers
Rui
mont23spears

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 06:47:30 AM »

Ambient music were always in favorite list!!!!!! Love it's sound!!!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »

Ambient music were always in favorite list!!!!!! Love it's sound!!!

Welcome to Kara-Moon, mont23spears!
Thanks for commenting on Marc's music - he needs encouragement... Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: