Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu no longer offering md5sum confirmation  (Read 4897 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »

When I first introduce a former Windows user to Linux, a stable version (currently version 8.04LTS) of Ubuntu is usually a good place for them to start.

My latest "convert" downloaded an .iso file, as requested, but when I asked him for the md5sum number so we could check for file integrity, he informed me that Ubuntu doesn't have any. I checked the Ubuntu downloads page, and... no md5sum listings.
(plus, only versions 10.04LTS and 10.10 are available to download; but when you read the fine print elsewhere on the site, Canonical recommends version 8.04LTS as their "productivity" release. New Ububtu-brand laptops ship with version 8.04 loaded)

So, how do we check for .iso file integrity before burning an Ubuntu operating system disc? Not possible, apparently. Shocked

Consequently, I loaded Puredyne version 9.1.1 on this fellow's computer and it is running flawlessly. Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:31:01 PM »

I must confess I think Ubuntu is losing its way. There are lots of quite small things happening which may seem easier for joe sixpack but to me degrade the distro.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »

Well ... no and no Smiley

I'm losing some of my enthusiasm for Ubuntu as well ... but that is mostly because I find that bugs don't get fixed and put into the current version quickly enough. I'm running 10.10 right now and am quite happy. It actually fixes a number of problems with 10.04. The problems I have had are mostly due to upgrading rather than reinstalling (I upgraded from 10.04 ... the consensus, generally, is that upgrading isn't the best idea ... but I didn't want to lose a bunch of settings, so I took the chance. Problems were mostly minor.)

I'd not be using 8.04! If you want a LTS version use 10.04. That's about 2 years more current.

As to checksums, check this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Hope this helps.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »

As to checksums, check this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
Hope this helps.

So that's where they put them!

Thanks... Smiley

Pages: [1]