Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:16:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Again: A Last Minute May KVR entry  (Read 4387 times)
Nystul

« on: May 25, 2007, 12:55:21 AM »

This isn't very well developed, but there is no more time and the KVR contest seems like a great format to get useful feedback.  The song is called "Again", and the theme is mending an old relationship.  There are no vocals or lyrics, so you can sing along whatever you want.  Grin  Very upbeat and poppy for a blues guy like me.

The piano track is TruePianos.
The drum track is GSCW drum samples played through SFZ.

Hope you enjoy it.

* 0705_Nystul_Again.mp3 (1876.45 KB - downloaded 778 times.)
Mellotronaut

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:12:26 PM »

You must be Ben Folds Wink. Very well performed...you should add some vocals though.

m
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:33:51 PM »

Nice chord progression, sounds realy pop.
To be honnest, it is the first time that I hear Truepianos, can't say I'm very fun of it.
But that's just a matter of taste....

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:11:35 PM »

Very upbeat and poppy for a blues guy like me

Hi Nystul

Very good melodies, I like the piano playing. A good use of the 3 theme.
I find there are some weird accents in the drums part, uhmm maybe that's intentional. is a kind of live feel quantize ?

Cheers
Nystul

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »

Mellotonaut - It seems you are one of few who actually like this crazy drum part.  Grin  My best mic right now is a Labtech $3 special, but perhaps some vocals will eventually appear.

Kara - I am in the middle of the 40 day demo for TruePianos, and still undecided on whether to buy or not.  On one hand, I fear it is not quite realistic enough to merit the price.  The decay of the notes does not seem right to me.  However, it is very responsive and fun to play... a much more realistic feel than some soundfont or free piano vsti.  And it does not require massive amounts of RAM and hard drive space for samples.

Laguna - The piano was not played on tempo (pure magic that I hit 2 minutes), so there is no quantize.  Most of the track locks in very nicely.  However, the syncopated snare accents are off, made worse by the kick bass disappearing.  Sometime I will experiment with using sustain pedal as a kick drum.  They were intended to sound human, but not intended to be so sloppy. 

Although it is partially improvised, a lot of time was invested in the piano part.  The drums were a rush job.  A few minutes etching out some concepts, and then 3 recorded takes, and then I thought "OK, this one is good enough."  Lesson learned.  Grin

Thanks to all for the feedback.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: