Kara-Moon Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:37:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Korg Kronos  (Read 46701 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 13, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »

It's about Godd**n time Korg got off of their cellulite-ridden butts & manufactured their next flagship workstation-as it's been nearly 5 years in the making!  Angry Grin
The new slogan from Korg now reads; "get ready to be amazed",but I think the price of this new workstation will set the tone for the level of amazement,if there is any feeling of amazement to be had at all(in terms of sheer overall sound quality in contrast to the competition).

There are of course,some amazing features of the Kronos,which are the 9 sound engines,a maximum of 400 note polyphony,16 audio tracks(in addition to the 16 midi tracks),the built in 30GB SSD,the 8" touch screen display,the expansion options and the 12 insert effects(16 in total,with 4 master effects).

After having heard the demos,the Kronos just seems to be a regurgitated version of the M3,as the electric guitar sounds & guitar effects are gravely disappointing as usual,in contrast to what can be had with computer software.

Equally disappointing,is the amount of PCM data of the Kronos-which is just over 300MB of ROM,which is less than half of what the Yamaha Motif XF offers.

In conclusion,I believe that the Kronos will be indeed be amazing,provided that they keep it well under the cost of the Motif XF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1o2Woa8PBk

-Thom

* Korg Kronos.jpg (578.51 KB, 4000x1105 - viewed 4634 times.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:05:28 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

kwandar

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:08 AM »

Funny, I was thinking ... hmmm ... if gets down to the price of the WK-7500 THEN I will be amazed Smiley
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:52:23 AM »

I guess the launch price will be in the order of the launch price of the OASYS, which was around 5.000 $ !  Roll Eyes

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »

Actually,the Oasys prices were around $7500 for the 76 key & $8500 for the 88 key(USD).

As for the Kronos,there are no U.S. prices as of yet,but here are the euro prices;

Kronos 61 - $2,999.00
Kronos 73 - $3,499.00
Kronos 88 - $3,799.00

The Kronos isn't quite the equivalent of the Oasys,but it seems they did a good job making a reasonable facsimile of the Oasys....so the price isn't all that astronomical....but all I can think about,is the monster computer I could buy with that money!! Grin

-Thom 

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »

Oh sh*t.....I am officially amazed,bewitched,bewildered,dumbfounded & flabbergasted by the Korg Kronos now.....BEHOLD...this incredible video demo from Korg!!!!   wOO wOO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHV3rnkGt3E

-Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »

That is one hell of a beast Afro

Edit:
Did you notice that where many artists would use an arpeggiator Jordan was playing the notes real-time!
Kudos
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:46:26 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:26 AM »

Actually,the Oasys prices were around $7500 for the 76 key & $8500 for the 88 key(USD).

As for the Kronos,there are no U.S. prices as of yet,but here are the euro prices;

Kronos 61 - $2,999.00
Kronos 73 - $3,499.00
Kronos 88 - $3,799.00

Correction; These prices are actually in U.S. dollars,as this information was recently posted by a Korg software developer,so it's official! Cool
Someone on the Karma-Lab forum had said these prices were in euro,so someone had got their wires crossed somewhere along the way.

-Thom

-Thom 

kwandar

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:50:39 AM »

If buying the Kronos would result in me playing like Jordan, I'd shell out $3,500 in a second ..... unfortunately, hell would have frozen over before that happened Smiley

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »

If you were aware of the Korg Kronos's potential & it's infinite possibilities,you would realize what a great buy the Kronos really is....especially so,when you consider that it's nearly a mirror image of the Oasys workstation-which for the 73 key,was going for $7500!! Shocked Tongue Grin

The best part about the Kronos,is that it functions just like a computer workstation,but it will NEVER catch a virus and it will NEVER crash! wOO

-Thom

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

I want me one of those!

kwandar

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 02:45:48 AM »

If you were aware of the Korg Kronos's potential & it's infinite possibilities,you would realize what a great buy the Kronos really is.... -Thom

I'm sure its great .... but I'm equally sure nothing will have me playing like him, irrespective of cost! Smiley
kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:30 AM »

A real beast ! Great sounds, great workstation, great all
If i would have the money to buy one, which I don't, I would buy one

What surprised me the most, is that Korg finally managed to make a grand piano which sounds as a real grand, which is a real breakthrough for them.

When the Oasys came out, I was invited by my music shop to play a couple hours with it. And I was disappointed by the piano sounds.
My brother has the M3, and I was disappointed by the piano sounds...
But that new grand on the Kronos sounds great !

k

Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »

Kara,

The grand piano of the expansion set of the M3 is actually impressive sounding-that is,very authentic in most aspects,but there was still that trademark "metallic klinky-ness" to the sample.
That being said,I assume(or rather hope),that this artifact of the that piano sound was corrected in the Kronos.If by chance the Korg piano is not quite up to par,there's always the option for adding a 3rd party piano sound-set and the Kronos has all the room one could need to expand!!

The thing is though,is that the subtleties of a piano sample-that is the unwanted sample flaws rarely ever present themselves in an online demo,so one needs to demo the Kronos in person & really study the piano programs.

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »

The Kronos promises to be an amazingly powerful workstation. I love the big demo event (the link Thom posted) and aside from the wonderful sound and the great flexibility of the sound engines, I love the little details like how easy the performances are switched, how intuitive the display GUI is and most of all, the fact that it integrates with a DAW so well. I'm very, very tempted!

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:34:24 AM »

I'm very, very tempted!

You will be able to play one very soon Marc.... Moon will order one  Grin

k