Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:15:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New track: On A Journey  (Read 7219 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: June 02, 2007, 11:22:45 AM »

I took part in the KvR contest again this month. The result was this track: On A Journey. Hope you all like it!

There's some new stuff on this one. Amongst others, I got myself NI Kore 1 (the upgrade offer to Kore 2 was too great to resist) and I really am impressed with it, it's made it easier for me to create new sounds and reuse them and because you can freely assign any combination of parameters of a patch and the VSTi's in them to the controller, it becomes very expressive.

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »

Allready listened to it on kvr this morning  Cheesy
Great soundscaping again.
It's incredible how fast you can create tracks !

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »

I took part in the KvR contest again this month.

Woow ! that's fast.... Shocked

I'm always sooo busy...

I read of the controller thing and I'm trying see this thing related to the synth sounds in your track: sounds are superb ! They fit well one each other: no cheese here, no 80-ish feel of plastic, fine hi-class sounds, dense enough. Definitely thumbs up.

Your music, here, is in between many genres: new age flaut-ish leads, prog rhythms, atmosphere/synth textures as in movie soundtracks and...
...I like it!  Cool

...hope you do good in the contest-world  Wink

Cheers

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 03:54:34 PM »

Smiley

Thanks to you both for your replies, glad you liked it! What I found is that Kore's especially good for these layered sounds. The main pad here is a combination of an ImpOSCar pad sound and a Kompakt strings preset, sent through the Kore 1 reverb. It's amazingly easy to create these kind of layered sounds and like I said, you can tie just about anything to the controllers knobs and buttons, meaning you could for example have immediate access to the filters of all VSTi's in a patch, their envelopes and the reverb... very cool. Also, Kore 2 will have built in arpeggiators and step sequencers...

The rhythms are a combination of a loop (mostly the bd), an electronic kit on Kompakt which is heavily processed and a rim shot and toms from a free east-west sampler VSTi. Once I started adding rhythmic elements I found it hard to stop... Smiley

I really love the e-bowed guitar sound in the middle section, this is the new ebow from Soniccouture.

Also known as Marc JXP
jura
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 02:15:52 PM »

Nice work.
Little bit short.
Story ends too early.

But I know, contest rules.

Anyway, I like it.

Good luck.  Wink

es
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:42:27 PM »

Thanks! I really think I'm going to extend this one (mind you, there are several contest entries of mine that I still intend to extend Cheesy).

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »

Effective use of percussion. Nice piano break towards the end.
Held my attention throughout (not easy for a guitar player Tongue).

Oren.

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 11:03:07 AM »

Nice layers and full sounds. I've listened to a few of your things without commenting (sorry) and I see you're very good at getting a soundscape to flow.
Those are nice sounds from a softsynth, it's amazing the development and pregress in those over the last couple years.  I'm a keyboard guy too, and listened intently.  Typing as it goes by;
 I like opening drum choice. The sweeps are well timed on the synths here too.

Arpeggated high notes loose the depth of sound from the synth (get hollow) like around :52
 Nice transition to piano sound and chord voicings/choices.  Guitar fades work well.
Right back into the groove with well timed sweeps again.
Everything worked so well up to the end that, to me, the reverse cymbals at the very end took awayfrom it.  I found myself thinking 'aww,man, he took me out of it'..

Overall very nice job, should place well.  What's the theme this month?

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 01:44:05 PM »

Thanks guys, glad you liked it! @Rharv: the extended version will feature way more soundscapes and a different ending too, so hopefully it'll keep you in longer! Smiley

I've started work on it and currently I'm building the opening which will probably feature my JX8P again... I'm also considering adding a more Jarre-style element to it but as the overall atmosphere of the track is more flowing than percussive I'm still not entirely sure of how that'll work. In any case, it's fun to go back to this one.

This month it's a free-for-all at the KvR contest, so this track didn't have to fit a theme at all.

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: