Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:04:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 10082 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: June 10, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »

Firefly is a TV program that is a combination of a western & a space-age sci-fi theme.Since I don't have cable TV,I managed to discover this show after I purchased the DVD movie "Serenity" on a whim.

This show came out in the early in the 21st century and was cancelled only after one season...but despite this,this show has a small,but loyal and growing fan-base,which spawned the movie "Serenity".

There's a lot of garbage on cable TV-which is one of the reasons I never subscribed to it,but this show has a very unique spin & I have become fascinated with it.

Since this show is a fusion of a western & a sci-fi theme,I tried to come up with something that was befitting to this obscure TV show.I'm not sure what category this tune falls under,hence the placement in the general category.

-Thom

* Firefly.mp3 (7059.42 KB - downloaded 231 times.)

* Firefly promo shot.jpg (220.1 KB, 610x636 - viewed 490 times.)

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 07:23:45 AM »

Thom,
I'm not a TV watcher, in general ... as you said, too much rubbish.
My wife loves anything sci-fi and she got into Firefly a couple of years ago and made me watch it. It's certainly compulsive viewing. Drama with an edge of black humour. We just recently re-watched the whole series.
I've often been tempted to do some cover stuff using the incidental music and particularly the song. Great singing and dobro slide playing from an old guy called Sonny Rhodes, I think.  Maybe I'll get round to it someday.

Great job on the theme music, mate. You nailed the sound.

Wink
James

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »

Firefly was a brilliant show. It was created by Joss Whedon (of Buffy fame) and has his particular blend of action and fast, funny conversations throughout. Nathan Fillion is really great in it, though all the cast shines. The Serenity movie you mention follows a storyline that was going to be the second season, had Firefly been allowed to continue.

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »

Roll Eyes
You set me off searching.
This is the one I was referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vS4z6ngQo&feature=related

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »

James,

Though I did enjoy the Serenity film,I must say,I think I find the series even more entertaining(have it on Blu-Ray now). Cheesy

From an instrumental standpoint,I do like the title song of the show,but I felt it was too firmly set in the 20th century and the story is set 500 years into the future,hence the reason I went with a modern sound(glad you like my take on it,thanks for your comments!)

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »

Marc,

It has been rumored that there was to be a sequel to Serenity-which would have been nice,but I would really prefer the continuation of the TV series.
I was hoping that Firefly would evolve to a cult-icon status like that of Star Trek,but I think that Firefly is dead in the water & will remain that way.

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »

It does definitely have a cult status and a very loyal group of fans (called browncoats), but after so many years it would seem hard to get the crew back together for a tv series, especially as some of them (notably Nathan Fillion in Castle) are very succesful with their own series. Also, Whedon is really busy with other projects and it wouldn't be the same with other writers. If there is another project (and I do agree with you that I'd rather see a tv series) then I suspect another movie is easier to organise.

But talking about Whedon and music - did any of you listen to Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog? It's another Whedon story with music from his brother and it's one of the best things I've ever seen. Ever. It's on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apEZpYnN_1g&playnext=1&list=PL932A157A84D35228.

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

Never heard of the series before (never was much of a box watcher) but I do like this track, and the rich sounds you've put together.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »

Thom,
It's the tv series that I prefer over the movie.
As for the music ... don't take me the wrong way on that. I really love what you have done with the theme.
Your comment about the '20th century' style music just brings home to me that the clever thing about this is the fact that that particular style really enforces the mix between old time 'western cowboy' action juxtaposed against the futuristic life-style. That whole off-kilter country music, with fiddle/banjo/dobro, which slides quite comfortably into the orchestrated electronics ... to me, enforces the ethic of the whole show.
Once again ... I love what you have done.  Kiss

Wink
James

SLD Music

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »

Love Firefly.  Smiley

I love most of Joss Wedan's work, inlcuding the Sing Along Blog.

Loved you track too, Thom.  Nicely done.

Scott
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 12:29:42 AM »

Thanks for the thumb's up,Scott. Cool

Wow...so many people-just on this forum alone,have a fondness for Firefly....really has me scratching my head as to why the show was cancelled....haven't the studio executives learned anything from the immense & enduring popularity of the Star Trek series??! Huh Roll Eyes Shocked Undecided Embarrassed

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:22 AM »

Well....I am about 95% through the Firefly series & the more I watch,the more I am really puzzled by the cancellation..only after one season.The fact that this show crapped out before even finishing a full season,indicates to me that there are other factors involved,apart from a moderate viewing audience,that lead to the show's demise.

Here's a somewhat interesting thread on this show,although some folk seem to be spinning their unsubstantiated pet theories,as to why the show circled the drain...

http://ask.metafilter.com/24923/Why-was-Firefly-cancelled

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »

Firefly was quite a few years ago now. There seem to be all sorts of theories as to why it was axed.
A more recent example of a similar situation is 'The Event'.
As I said earlier, usually I have no time at all for TV, but this was another series which was exceptionally gripping (also in a Sci-Fi style) yet it had suffered the same fate. Dropped by it's production company after only one series when further ones were planned  Roll Eyes
Go figure  Huh

Wink
James

Azell

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

est-ce que cette série est passée en France? car j'adore la S-F mais celà ne me dis rien Huh

is what this series has grown in France? because I love the S-F but it will not tell me anything??

Kara pour toujours
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »

Firefly is a TV program... this show has a very unique spin & I have become fascinated with it.
... a fusion of a western & a sci-fi theme,I tried to come up with something that was befitting ...

I'm also a big fan of Joss Whedon (particularly the TV series "Angel" and "The Dollhouse") and Firefly.
Your new theme fits like a hand in glove...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: