Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:19:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Alchemy Users?  (Read 12783 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 22, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »

While surfing around on the KVR forum,I ran a search for freeware and came across Alchemy.It appears to be a very unique sample-based synthesis program and I was really excited about downloading over a gigabyte's worth of free stuff-but after I downloaded the program on both of my PC's,I failed miserably to get it to appear in my Presonus DAW.

I have never been able to install freeware successfully and I am an utter moron when it comes to trouble-shooting this kind of thing.I have contacted Camel audio about it & I am just waiting on them to get back to me.

I had went through this with trying to install a freeware product called Truth Synth and despite all of tech assistance I received from that company,they were unable to help me,because of what a flaming idiot I am. Roll Eyes

I never did get my NI Komplete 6 installed on my other PC,so when that PC goes,I'm going to lose that entire program.Months or years from now,all I am going to have left to work with,is my Reason 4 and the VST's that came with my Presonus DAW....as those programs are so simple,that even a neanderthal like me can get them up & running.

There really is no point in me ever spending any more money on VST's other than for Reason 4,because I won't be able to install anything else and I will have wasted money on software that is non-returnable.

I can't go back to using hardware synths,because they're just too damn expensive,so there's very little point in me being a practicing musician anymore.

The only realistic alternative I have left,is that if I ever buy another software program again,it will be contingent on me paying someone to install the program on my PC for me,if that's possible.

-Thom 

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »

Thom,
I don't know about Alchemy, but I have both CamelPhat and CamelCrusher and have had no problem with installing either of them.
Almost all of my stuff is Freeware, apart from a couple of recent 'special offers' and a few contest prizes.
I have had, mostly, no bother with installation.

The usual procedure is simply to download the VST to, in my case, a separate download folder and from there I unzip and copy the whole folder to my VST folder within Reaper.  In the few instances where I have had problems I have made a separate copy of the *dll file and pasted that direct into the VST folder as well.
Always remembering to force the DAW into re-scanning for plug-ins on start-up, if there seems to be a problem with non-recognition.

The things that I generally have trouble with are the 'big name' applications. They generally, IMO, turn out to be a PITA to install, take up too much HD space and are not as effective as the freebies.
Just my small cheapskate opinion, friend.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:39:26 PM »

James,

As it turns out,I received a response a day earlier than their standard response time & they gave me instructions that even a baboon could follow.
Lovely people there at Camel Audio,as I got somewhat of a handle on the situation,but I think I need to re-download the program to another computer,because I think I discombobulated the download somehow.

Interestingly enough,Camel Audio is just north of you,there in Scotland.I didn't think there was too much in the way of industry in terms of electronics there....although I am aware that Tannoy products come from there.

As far as big name products go,Native Instruments can really be a terrible pain in the *ss to install,but that's mainly due to their ridiculous level of copyright security.

Installing programs such as Propellerhead Reason & Presonus are just the opposite,as they're wonderfully easy to install.

Thanks for your input,mi amigo. Cool

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:34:39 AM »

Well....I downloaded & installed the Alchemy player into my Studio One,but it is nowhere to be found within the project song I created.I'll just have to wait until Monday,when I hear back from Camel Audio support. Undecided

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »

Thom, many of the free programs do not automatically install the dll files, you have to copy or move, I suggest that you copy, them to the correct Window folder.  This is what James was hinting at in his reply.  I place all of my VST and VSTi Dlls in my C:/Program Files/Steinberg/VST Plugins, note that yours maybe different. After I place the new Dll there you must have your DAW(s) rescan your plugins, again like Jame’s said.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:28:47 AM »

Mario,

Everything on my new PC has always been routed to my Documents folder.That being said,are you saying that I have to move the dll form one sub-folder to another?
I am so utterly confused...I'll just have to wait until I hear back from Camel Audio.I also tried to use another freeware program called Analog Warfare and I'm having the same friggin' problem.
What you and James are trying to explain to me sounds so simple,but I am still stuck...it's making me bat-sh*t.Camel Audio has a lot of great video tutorials,but no videos that address this specific installation problem....which is what I really need.....why can't any company out there make such videos? Sad

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »

Thom,
Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of your StudioOne program but ...
the usual scenario would be ... under My Computer find your Cdrive and look for Program Files. From there find your Studio One folder. Click to open that and I'm betting there will be a sub folder called VST.  Copy any missing *dll files from your downloaded vst's and paste them into this folder. Then, when you next run the program look along the main toolbar to see if there is an option to 'scan for new vst's'.

That is standard procedure for most DAW's.

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »

Mario,

Everything on my new PC has always been routed to my Documents folder.That being said,are you saying that I have to move the dll form one sub-folder to another?

-Thom

Yes, exactly.  All of your VSTi Dlls should be in one folder. Yours sound like they are scattered in different My Documents sub folders. 

I don’t use StudioOne but you should check for the VST folder as suggested by James. 

I would use a slightly different approach than what James has indicated, although James’ approach is a good one for using that one DAW.  I would create a new folder in Program Files called C:/Program Files/VST.  I would copy every DLL in My Documents to that C:/Program Files/VST folder.  I would then open my DAW and tell it to scan for new VST at C:/Program Files/VST.  That way all of your VSTs are in one folder and available for any DAW to use. This is the exact same method as I use.

Let us know if we can help.

PS – as an afterthought: some free VSTi programs do not work well with some DAWs.  Remember most of the free ones are from hobbyists who do not have access to all DAWs. I have run across a few that did not run in Sonar. 

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »

Mario,

Everything is in all one folder and I scanned for missing files and there's nothing missing.It appears that Presonus doesn't recognize Alchemy.Strange thing is though,is that Alchemy is not really "freeware",as the Alchemy player is the lite version of the full version of Alchemy.

I looked on Camel Audio's website and Presonus is not listed under their list of compatible DAWS...which makes me wonder why Camel Audio's support is even bothering to try to help me. Huh

I guess I just screwed up when I decided to but Presonus S1,because I bought the one oddball DAW that's causing me a world of trouble with compatibility and the fact that I have to have an internet connection,just to run it. Angry

Worst of it is,is I paid $400 for the God**ned thing! Roll Eyes

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »

I just had an afterthought....maybe it's about time I invested in the Reaper DAW,as this might solve a lot problems. Undecided Or maybe use that DAW that Wyatt had used....I forget the name of it.
Come to think of it though....maybe I should just but one of the DAWS on Camel Audio's compatibility list,provided that any one of them isn't too expensive.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:52:39 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »

I just found this reply to my query from Camel Audio,on KVR....it's good to know that Presonus does in fact,work with my DAW...but I haven't worked out the problem,as of yet.
I think I need to either delete everything and start from scratch,or just wait until I have the money for the full version.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4599098#4599098

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »

Thom,
If you want to give Reaper a try they have an unlimited full trial version.
Download it and run it for free until you know if it id going to work for you. From then on it is only $60.
It is also a very small download and the program has a surprisingly small footprint.

I can talk you through most of it's features as I've been using it for years.
That said ... as you know, most of my stuff is audio not midi so I'm not too hot on helping you through that side of things  Roll Eyes

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »

Thom, what OS are you using?  32 or 64 bit?

Check this Presonus form thread: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/3851.page

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »

Mario,

I'm aware that 32 bit can't run in a 64 bit and Alchemy does not have a standalone mode anyhow,so I don't think anything in that particular Presonus thread pertains to my situation.

I got into this whole thing under the presumption that Alchemy was strictly freeware(because I ran a search on KVR,specifically for freeware) and Alchemy is one of the programs that popped up.
When I realized that I was just dealing with merely the Alchemy player-as supposed to the full version,I was not too hot on the idea and now,I think I would rather spare myself the potential hassle of running into issues with trying to install a license key into a lite version of a program....as I've gone through that hell before.

I have already determined that I definitely want this program,so there's no need for me to demo it.I've been really hot on the idea of owning Omnishpere for a long while,but Alchemy is an amazing alternative to it and a reasonable one,because not only are the sounds & fidelity of this program off the charts,but it's CPU friendly and cheap!

All this being said,I really think I should wait,until I can buy the full version of Alchemy.

Thanks a mint guys,for all of your help and I'll get you posted on my situation.

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 02:00:36 AM »

After going back to the Alchemy support thread on KVR,one of the guys from Camel Audio assured me that the Alchemt player and the full version are virtually identical,so there would be no problems with upgrading.

After following their instructions,I finally got Alchemy to appear in my DAW and the list of preset sound category folders are there,but there is no content,whatsoever.
What is especially weird,is that all of the MP3's that I have stored in my documents folder,are listed below the Alchemy folders within my DAW.I am making some progress here,but I am a little freaked out by the missing sounds.
I posted my situation on the KVR board,so hopefully I will have everything squared away by tomorrow. Undecided

-Thom

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: