Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:31:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Casio XW-P1 Performance Synthesizer  (Read 9271 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 25, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

This time of year has always been the high-point for me and 2012's Winter Namm is especially exciting,keyboard-wise.The single most extraordinary thing for me personally,is Casio's reentry into the semi-pro realm of synths and Casio's XW-P1 performance synth,is Casio's starting point.
The XW-P1 is a robust monophonic VA modeling synth with 64 note polyphony that is capable of multiple layering using 6 oscillators and has plenty of bread & butter sounds,totalling to 420 patches.
It's an absolutely stunning piece of gear in terms of form & functionality,sporting full size keys,midi ports,audio inputs,a cornucopia of real time controls,a phrase and a step sequencer and can be used as a midi controller for DAW programs.

The only real drawback of this keyboard,would be the 42kHz,10 bit resolution A/D converters,but this synth certainly wasn't designed to rival such synths as the Radikal Technologies Accelerator keyboard.

While the XW-P1 is far from being characteristic of an Access Virus or a Kurzweil,it does offer an unprecedented amount of impressive sounds,flexibility & plenty of retro style patches for a remarkably modest price of $500....damn...I'm sold!
 Cheesy

Performance synthesizer
The Casio XW-P1 is a powerful six oscillator monophonic solo synth that is ready to gig. You can combine all six oscillators to make a single tone. You get two virtual analog style oscillators, two PCM oscillators, one noise oscillator, and one external oscillator for use with line and mic inputs. Each oscillator has their own filter, portamento, envelopes, key tracking, a master resonant filter, and two LFOs. The XW-P1 is an extremely powerful synth that lets you really edit and tweak each setting. You also have access to the original CZ synthesizer's waveforms.

Sounds for any gig
Beyond its solo synth capabilities, the Casio XW-P1 houses a library of gig ready sounds including pianos, electric pianos, brass, strings, guitars, basses, guitars, drums, and more. The new drawbar organ mode features nine steps for each drawbar so you can dial in killer B3 tones. Vibrato, percussion, and rotary speaker controls are available on organ modes. XW-P1 also features the new HexTone sounds. A HexTone is a single sound comprised of six components, allowing complex layers, splits and velocity switched sounds.

Heavy-duty sequencer
Creating animated synth textures and arpeggios or heavy dance grooves is easy with the Casio XW-P1's step sequencer. This unique sequencer gives you nine tracks for basses, drums, synths and chordal parts, four controller tracks for adding panning, filter changes and other animation to existing parts and eight patterns make up each sequence. You can build and mix your performance on the fly with the XW-P1 synthesizer. A 16-step programmable arpeggiator gives you the power to create complex and innovative patterns.

Casio XW-P1 Performance Synthesizer Features:
61-key performance synthesizer
6 Oscillator Monophonic Solo Synthesizer
HexTone - single sounds made up of 6 components
Drawbar organ mode with nine slides
400 editable PCM sounds
16-step programmable arpeggiator
13-track sequencer
Four real-time controller knobs
Can operate on 6 D batteries

Specifications;

Number of Keys   61
Polyphony   64
USB   Yes
Number of Audio Inputs   3
Audio Input Types   2 x TS, 1 x 1/8" TRS
Number of Audio Outputs   2
Audio Output Types   2 x TRS

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/01/21/wnamm12-casio-wx-p1-up-close/

http://casiomusicgear.com/home/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrWoS0JXGs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BurzR0f32gU&lc=nXpXT58D-76cocR9ZkTWImP8isSyFZpDtG8kN6pJFQE&context=C3cbf04bADOEgsToPDskKZ9yfnY97eplJUKsxYZTCn

-Thom

* Casio XW-P1 3-vert.jpg (264.48 KB, 418x822 - viewed 850 times.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:09:38 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »

Versatile, high quality, a time-tested brand name.

Reminds me of...

* Swiss Army Keyboard.jpg (13.18 KB, 230x230 - viewed 827 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »

Versatile, high quality, a time-tested brand name.

Reminds me of...

Hey...that's the MacGyver pocket knife!  Grin

* MacGyver Collage.jpg (134 KB, 404x404 - viewed 849 times.)

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:37:38 AM »

Hey...that's the MacGyver pocket knife!  Grin

Yup - keep one with me at all times... Grin

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »

For the last 3 days,I have been going on like a raped ape,over this keyboard...late nights..just glued to my computer & conjuring up all the info & media coverage that's out there on the XW-P1.
I've been going back & forth on the GearSlutz forum,gathering any & all info that wasn't in writing on Casio's website as of yet,as I've been conversing with Mike Martin(one of the U.S. reps for Casio).
This guy has quite a track record,working for Kurzweil,TC Electronics & Yamaha and this man knows the XW-P1 better than anyone in this country and has demonstrated this beautiful synth so eloquently & thoroughly.

In my correspondence with him,I have learned that the lackluster specs of the A/D converter I was so worried about,actually only applies to the audio input-but as for the audio fidelity for the audio outputs of the XW-P1,he has assured me that the quality is higher,but he can't provide specifics on these specs,as he is awaiting word from Tokyo.

I have also learned two pieces of very exciting news about the XW-P1-one of which,is that as the second video here will indicate,the on-board editing is much more in depth then I had thought..in fact,it is reminiscent of the VAST synth engine in the Kurzweil boards!
Secondly and this is the icing on the cake,the XW-P1 comes with a software editor!

An important note to serious synth enthusiasts; this synth is an absolute sound creating monster that is not to be taken lightly or scoffed at....don't let the last 20 years of Casio's production of consumer grade keyboards fool you!

These two videos below are the most accurate representation of what this amazing synth can accomplish;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWCIwsh-ZQ&feature=g-like&context=G2b68596ALTyS0XgABAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8JWovgHUg&feature=g-like&context=G2a6d1d7ALTyS0XgAAAA

-Thom
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:35:51 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »

For the last 3 days,I have been going on like a raped ape,over this keyboard... I've been conversing with Mike Martin...has quite a track record,working for Kurzweil,TC Electronics & Yamaha and this man knows the XW-P1 better than anyone in this country... this synth is an absolute sound creating monster that is not to be taken lightly or scoffed at...

It's likely that the keyboard is priced so reasonably because of the Casio brand. If the name said Korg or Roland, the tag would probably read $1000.00, or more... Cheesy

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »

It's likely that the keyboard is priced so reasonably because of the Casio brand. If the name said Korg or Roland,the tag would probably read $1000.00, or more... Cheesy

Yep...Casio is a monster company,that has their hands in everything from calculators,to computers,watches...you name it,& have been around since 1957.
Of course though,they've only entered the musical instrument arena since 1980,but they were surprisingly competitive and even more innovative,by not only providing reasonably priced keyboards...but ones such as a synthesizer that had a dual cassette deck & a radio built in....that was a fun keyboard! Grin

It seems to me that the reason that Casio backed off from making pro grade synthesizers for the last 20 years,was probably due to the growing number of competitors & the directions they were going in in the early 90's,perhaps.

That being said,I think that Casio seized the perfect time,whereby the current technology has advanced to a point where they're able to not only compete with other hardware synths by offering more within their production costs,but also to generate an incentive for folks who primarily use software,to reconsider using hardware more(Casio's strategy worked on me)!  Cheesy

Casio's strongest concept & consequent advantage,is innovation, & I think the XW-P1 is a testament to that,as Casio managed to come up with a synth that offers the most fluid & versatile real time control...that includes more physical controls,editing,layering & polyphony over any synth in or near it's price range.
Though Casio has made a notable improvement with it's drawbar organ & the fact that they have triple strike pianos,I don't have any high expectations of their other bread & butter sounds,but from what I've heard thus far,I am impressed overall,at the attention to quality,for the coin.

As for Korg..well..I think they provide a very good bang for the buck in the $1,000 & up range,but anything they've produced for under a grand,has been very disappointing & unusable,in my opinion.

Roland in my honest opinion,has been fleecing the planet with workstation synths & even some of their stand-alone synths for the last 15 years, with truly disappointing factory sounds,while creating sound card libraries with quality sounds at a substantial cost,as a means of extorting the Roland user.
To make matters worse,when Roland does create a synth that is truly inspiring,they focus only on making quality sounds and then eliminate most-if not all,on-board recording options(despite the fact that their synths cost just as much-if not more,than their competitor's workstations).

For some reason,Roland still has a small but loyal cult following...but I don't think that will be enough to sustain Roland for too much longer & they'll be in serious trouble,once Casio begins to gain momentum in the pro market(unless of course,Roland diverges into a radical new direction).
I would really like to see Roland reemerge with synths like the old Super JX-10...but I don't hold any hope of that every happening.

-Thom
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:28:15 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: