Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:41:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget stand-alone synthesizers/keyboards  (Read 7549 times)
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: February 11, 2012, 05:43:24 AM »

Our hostel band - the Blue Muthers Island Remedy - http://www.motagator.net/Blue_Muthers_Island_Remedy/blog.php - is preparing to host a little session every evening for hostel guests called "Blackberry Jam".
 I'm responsible for assembling a flock of instruments for their use, and I'd like to have two or three keyboards available... something with built-in speakers, decent piano/organ sounds, and may be a little basic percussion action. I can handle the selection of guitars, violins - anything with strings, but low cost keyboards are largely outside my experience.

Any recommendations as to which brands I can buy used that are hardy enough stay in working condition, that sound reasonably decent, and that will be available for a low price?

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »

When I was starting from scratch & in the process of getting back on my feet and into the music game again 10 years ago,I had bought a Radio Shack portable keyboard(the very type of keyboard you're looking for)...which was the MD-1700..which was a knock off of a Casio WK-1800 I believe.
I had paid $300 for it new and it was a w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l music making machine for the money...in fact,I deeply regret selling it! Cry

The sounds were very impressive & inspiring,given the price point and if I remember correctly,it had 400 sounds,auto accompaniments,a 6 track real time sequencing with a quantize function and built in speakers.

Believe it or not,this particular model had the nicest sounding built in audio system I've ever come across,as you would not believe the wall of beautiful sound that came from those amazing speakers!

I saw this very model on eBay not too long ago...don't remember how much it was,but it was certainly below $300....I'll go take a look right now to see if it's still there...I'll get back to you on that...

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »

Here you go bro....snatch it up right quick,would be my recommendation...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Md-1700-Radioshack-/260952058140?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item3cc1f4691c#ht_500wt_1202

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »

Here you go bro....snatch it up right quick,would be my recommendation...  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-Md-1700-Radioshack-/260952058140?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item3cc1f4691c#ht_500wt_1202
Oh yeah - I had a feeling I could count on you, Mr. S. Afro

I have a thing about buying from a local seller, so this e-bay gem will go to someone else, but your information is what I need to follow up on zee plan. I just saw a Casio WK-110 go for $50.00 on a Victoria buy-and-sell site. Seems to me Casio actually built those keyboards for Radio Shack... Main thing, now I am barking up the right tree - thanks!

One policy I like to follow when buying music equipment is to have some kind of personal relationship with the seller, even if it's just to meet them on a street corner downtown to exchange my cash for their bit of gear. It tends to build a sense of community among local players - you meet them a few days/weeks/months later, in the course of wandering around town, and stop for a few moments to discuss how the item is currently deployed, or who owns it now.
 The good news is that there are a lot of musicians in this town, and I should have an easy job of finding that Radio Shack keyboard or one very similar to it...

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

I checked the Victoria website and from what I've seen,only the bottom-of-the-barrel of the WK series are available & I don't think you'll be happy with them.
If you can't find the RS keyboard,then keep an eye out for the Casio WK-3800..other than that,I don't know what else to suggest.

I understand you wanting to remain local in your purchases,but acquiring the gear that fits the gig on a budget,may seriously limit your options.

The real cream of the crop for what you need,is the Radio Shack keyboard(especially for the price),so I hope you can find it locally...but there was only one on eBay...so it is a matter of freak luck,if you do find one there.

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »

...from what I've seen,only the bottom-of-the-barrel of the WK series are available & I don't think you'll be happy with them.
If you can't find the RS keyboard,then keep an eye out for the Casio WK-3800... acquiring the gear that fits the gig on a budget,may seriously limit your options.
The real cream of the crop for what you need,is the Radio Shack keyboard(especially for the price),so I hope you can find it locally...

Schweet! Like any good fisherman (fisherperson?) I am patient, use the best bait, and enjoy the process of waiting for the "big one" to come along.
And now I know what kind of fish I'm after, it's only a matter of time wOO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: