Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 8578 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: February 21, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »

It's 2:30am here & I'm wound up like a cat and strung out...trying to figure out what's happening with my K-M uploading situation.

Earlier today,I uploaded a song that was 7.97MB and I was told the file size was too large...I then cut it down to 7.94..same problem.

Earlier this evening,I uploaded another song from my other computer,with no problems.

I then concluded that the level of internet traffic,must have been responsible for my issues & that it was a malfunction of K-M's server.
With that in mind,I just recently tried to re-upload the previous song and had the same f**king problem.....the only thing I can figure,is that since my computer is taking an unusually long time to connect to the internet,that I must be infected with adware(if this is the case,how can one person possibly be infected so many times)??

Before anyone suggests it again-no,I'm not buying a Linux system,because I don't have the brain power to handle it & it will never be mainstream enough for me to run all of my software on it.

I thought I had reached a point where I was at least knowledgeable enough to have a grasp on the essentials...but as it turns out,I will never overcome my computer ignorance fully.

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »

Undecided
Thom.
Don't know if this is much help but, on more than a few attempts to upload larger file sizes here I have found that the size limit of 8Mb is very approximate.
I now never try to upload anything bigger than 7.
The most annoying thing about this system is that you think it is uploading, sit and wait, then it says 'upload failed'.  I never even go near to 8 any more  Lips Sealed

And ... don't be too quick to blame your system The internet and it's traffic is a very fickle thing.
A couple of weeks back I had a whole week where I felt as if I were back on dial-up. No apparent reason. The only good thing to come out of it was the fact that it made me do every darn check that is possible on my system (unnecessarily)  ... so I KNOW that it's clean.  Roll Eyes

Just go back and render at a smaller bit rate, then try again in the morning.
 Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:21:08 PM »

Thom, it is very hard trying to keep up with all of the hackers out there. If you want to be sure your Windows system is bug free check out “The Security Tango” http://securitytango.com/ .  Click on the Let’s Dance tab and choose “The Windows Waltz”.  Note all of these are free programs and be sure to follow all of the steps exactly as they are presented.

I use Microsoft’s free Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials  as my anti-virus.  I have found it to be one of the best.  It’s very effective and not a big resource hog.  I run a full scan every week as I’m on the Internet a lot.  I also use the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html every other week.  Prior to my weekly scan I run the free CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleanerto take out all of the temp files.

If you are sure you are bug free then you may want to try what I do.  That is run Ccleaner, your anti-virus then Anti-Malware. This takes a lot of time and it is a big PITA but it is the only way to at least keep up with all the trouble makers out there. 

Ps - for a Mac and Linux system there are "Security Tango" programs for them under the "Lets Dance" tab also.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

Undecided
Thom.
Don't know if this is much help but, on more than a few attempts to upload larger file sizes here I have found that the size limit of 8Mb is very approximate.
I now never try to upload anything bigger than 7.
The most annoying thing about this system is that you think it is uploading, sit and wait, then it says 'upload failed'.  I never even go near to 8 any more  Lips Sealed

And ... don't be too quick to blame your system The internet and it's traffic is a very fickle thing.
A couple of weeks back I had a whole week where I felt as if I were back on dial-up. No apparent reason. The only good thing to come out of it was the fact that it made me do every darn check that is possible on my system (unnecessarily)  ... so I KNOW that it's clean.  Roll Eyes

Just go back and render at a smaller bit rate, then try again in the morning.
 Wink
James

Well....such a problem as mentioned,is a very rare occurrence and I always strive for the biggest bit rate possible,so I'm constantly posting songs that are just under 8MB with a 99.9% success rate.
That being said,I am really dumbfounded by this,especially since I managed to upload a similarly sized file in the same day,with success. Undecided

Thanks for you input though. Smiley

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »

Thom, it is very hard trying to keep up with all of the hackers out there. If you want to be sure your Windows system is bug free check out “The Security Tango” http://securitytango.com/ .  Click on the Let’s Dance tab and choose “The Windows Waltz”.  Note all of these are free programs and be sure to follow all of the steps exactly as they are presented.

I use Microsoft’s free Essentials http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials  as my anti-virus.  I have found it to be one of the best.  It’s very effective and not a big resource hog.  I run a full scan every week as I’m on the Internet a lot.  I also use the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html every other week.  Prior to my weekly scan I run the free CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleanerto take out all of the temp files.

If you are sure you are bug free then you may want to try what I do.  That is run Ccleaner, your anti-virus then Anti-Malware. This takes a lot of time and it is a big PITA but it is the only way to at least keep up with all the trouble makers out there. 

Ps - for a Mac and Linux system there are "Security Tango" programs for them under the "Lets Dance" tab also.

Thanks,but I'm not sure this whole elaborate procedure is necessary,especially since I am only speculating that it's adware.This subject has come up before and I already have Windows Security Essentials,thanks to you. Smiley

Perhaps I will do the "Security Tango" down the road,but the Windows Security,Malwarebytes-along with Google Chrome,should be sufficient.

-Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »

Hi Thom

In view of the fact you are working close to the size limit, it possible you're falling foul of the 'standards' issue.

I have 4 different mp3 playing/recording programs, and guess what? I get 4 different sizes for the same file. What is more, one program will say file 'A' is bigger than 'B' while another will say 'B' is bigger than 'A'.

P.S.
Your 'Leroy' file is shown as 7438.86k - my player is showing it as  7.3M
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:15:14 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:15 PM »

Hi Thom

In view of the fact you are working close to the size limit, it possible you're falling foul of the 'standards' issue.

I have 4 different mp3 playing/recording programs, and guess what? I get 4 different sizes for the same file. What is more, one program will say file 'A' is bigger than 'B' while another will say 'B' is bigger than 'A'.

P.S.
Your 'Leroy' file is shown as 7438.86k - my player is showing it as  7.3M

I've experienced the same issues,but usually,the differences are marginal & if it were anything beyond that,then I would be experiencing this problem regularly,but that's not the case.

The only thing left for me to put to the test,is for me to downgrade the file to a flat 7MB and see what happens.

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »

Thom, if you would like you could send me the file via transferbigfiles or yousendit and I could try to upload it.  That will tell you if either the file is too big or there is something amiss at your end.

Just a thought

PS – I’m of to teach right now but I will be back around 9:30 tonight, at the latest.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »

Thom, if you would like you could send me the file via transferbigfiles or yousendit and I could try to upload it.  That will tell you if either the file is too big or there is something amiss at your end.

Just a thought

A very good thought at that..I'll have to take you up on that....thanks. Cool

-Thom

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

Just a thought ... but is 8meg 8,000,000 bytes or 8,192,000? Your 7.84 is probably 8,028,160. That old 1024 vrs 1000 thingie.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »

Just had another thought.
Have you looked it the file in a spectrum analyzer? If it has a lot of HF content that could be screwing things up. Are you using a sound that you don't often use?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:47 PM »

Just had another thought.
Have you looked it the file in a spectrum analyzer? If it has a lot of HF content that could be screwing things up. Are you using a sound that you don't often use?

Hey...who am I...MacGyver?I don't get that technical! Grin Seriously though,where might a find a spectrum analyzer?Assuming I could get my hands on one at no cost,how exactly do I determine what is excessive in terms of HF for it to be a problem?

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 12:55:52 AM »

Thom, the problem with your original file is that it is over 8000kbs, the limit for the largest file size here.  Check out the picture you will see that the actual file size is 8,364 kbs.  I believe there are rounding errors happening here when the file is rounded from bytes to kbs to mbs.

PS – bvdp has hit the nail on the head!

* Something About you.jpg (209.82 KB, 377x524 - viewed 523 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:44 AM »

Thanks for the info Mario...it's nice to have the mystery solved. Smiley I didn't think to import it into my Windows Media library...but then,I deliberately avoid doing that,because that's how I got into trouble on this forum when I first became a member.

Many years ago,I used to keep all of my song in the Windows library and somehow,Windows was replacing my song details with other artists(professional ones) and all of my songs had other artist's credits.

It was then that Rony & Moon were accusing me of plagiarism and I had no way of defending myself & explaining to them why it was happening...it was a terrible mess. Embarrassed

It was the most bizarre computer predicament imaginable...so glad that was resolved,although I can't remember how I got myself out of that situation. Huh Grin

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »

Thom, I did not import this into Windows Media Player.  All you have to do to get this information is to right click on your file then click on properties.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: