Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:39:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant Regarding Forums..  (Read 8413 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: March 27, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »

My grievances pertain to KVR and the Novation forum.

I just made an attempt to post a reply in a hardware category of the KVR forum & my action was blocked,as I received an error message stating that my post was "spammy" in nature & that I should revise my post....WTF?Huh Angry

A few days earlier,I joined the Novation forum to post a request for some advice on a Novation Impulse midi controller & when I tried to post it,I received a message saying that my post is awaiting approval from the moderator.
The following day,I received an e-mail saying that my post was rejected as being spam,in nature.

Spam is a terrible pain in the butt for everyone,but in the event it happens,it should be the moderator's job to just delete the post(if in fact it is clearly spam).
If any of my posts had a link to another site,then I could understand all of the alarms going off & me being red-flagged...but my posts were blatantly innocent.

It seems as though some of these administrators & moderators are so overzealous about security,simply because they are too lazy and can't be bothered with the task of deleting posts that are deemed as a threat....but then again,having to monitor & approve posts before they are posted,certainly seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through. Huh

I realize that spam filtering software alone, can be very ineffective is some instances,but I still fail to see any logic or reason in the way some of these forums operate.
I've read an alarming amount of incompatibility issues with Novation Impulse keyboards,which is what lead me to post a query in their forum...but because of the way they treat newcomers to their forum...Novation has just lost a potential customer for life.

It's bad enough that Novation has so many tech issues with their Impulse keyboards,without having to deal with the idiots who manage the forum, rejecting a perfectly legitimate posting.
Besides which,Novation keyboards aren't cheap...so the thought of me asking for trouble by purchasing one & being minus some serious coin in the process,is not an attractive prospect. Roll Eyes

As for KVR...well..it's just not worth the time or the effort for me to pull my hair out,in trying to determine what I said "wrong",that caused KVR's alarms to go off.

-Thom
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:36:29 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »

Corporate sponsored websites tend to be very protective of their "product".
 Independent sites like Kara-Moon are much more relaxed about opinions and their expression, because they are not promoting commerce.
I'm not clear on KVR's financial situation, but if they are supported by advertisers, this could be the reason they are touchy about some areas of discussion.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »

Corporate sponsored websites tend to be very protective of their "product".
 Independent sites like Kara-Moon are much more relaxed about opinions and their expression, because they are not promoting commerce.
I'm not clear on KVR's financial situation, but if they are supported by advertisers, this could be the reason they are touchy about some areas of discussion.

Interesting insights,but forums like the Motifator & Gearslutz websites seem to be well funded by advertisers & you are granted pretty much free reign to say whatever comes to mind on those discussion boards.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »

FWIW-About a week ago I did receive an infected email that was supposedly from you. I had just assumed that it was your old email address so I dumped it and didn’t let you know about it. Maybe I was bad in not letting you know.  But in light of these messages it maybe possible that your current email is either infected and/or highjacked. Maybe, don’t know for sure, that they have received infected emails from you also, thus you are on their spam list.

The older I get the better I was!
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »

Mario ... this is indeed possible.
I received those suspect messages too. I reported then to Thom at the time.  Lips Sealed

Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:04:52 PM »

A couple of thoughts.

I assume you are using outlook as your mail reader. If so, by default it sends e-mail as multi-part MIME messages with an HTML content, and that may be triggering some spam detectors. I think you can switch this off. If not maybe you can switch to a mail reader that sends just plain text and only adds exactly the attachments you want it to, and when you want it to.

One of the tricks spammers use, is to 'harvest' genuine e-mail addresses then fake a message to look like it came from you - I've had my e-mail address for years, and find it quite amusing when I get a message that's apparently from me Smiley

Try to contact KVR and Novation to see if this is the problem and if they can suggest a way to resolve it.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »

Thanks for all of the input my friends...but right now my plate is full with other matters & well...KVR & the Novation forum is not all that important to me.

@Will....you're talking over my head,as I'm afraid I'm not that technical or brainy where PC's are concerned.

Thanks

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 07:19:58 AM »

Thom,
I've just had another two of those messages from your system. They both have me included on quite a list of other addressees.
I certainly feel that you must have some sort of bug which is causing this.  Lips Sealed

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »

Thom,
I've just had another two of those messages from your system. They both have me included on quite a list of other addressees.
I certainly feel that you must have some sort of bug which is causing this.  Lips Sealed

Wink
James

I just logged on to tell Thom I got another of those messages and saw that James got some also.  Thom your computer is infected.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »

I just logged on to tell Thom I got another of those messages and saw that James got some also.  Thom your computer is infected.
We can help you disinfect, Pilgrim. ...Relax!... Afro
...between the bunch of us, we have the tools, the time, and the techniques... wOO

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:18:31 PM »

It seems to me that e-mail accounts are the most vulnerable to spam infections & I don't see how it could effect my admission into Novation's forum and as for the KVR incident...I think perhaps that when I mentioned in my post about how much I paid for a piece of gear,that may have triggered a red flag.

As for the Novation website,that's an issue that has been eradicated by my decision to go with M-Audio,instead.

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »

Shocked
Just had another two, Thom  Roll Eyes

Spybot, Adaware, Malwarebytes, etc

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »

Thom, I have just received another potentially harmful email supposedly from you trying to get me to click on another web site.  This came from your highlandstudio1969ATyahooDOTcom address.  I have permanently blocked this email address so it will never get to my computer again. If you need to contact me via email you must let me know via Kara-Moon.  I will then delete the blocked address and let you know that I did.  Then you can send me an email.

I know this may be an inconvenience however I am going to protect my computer from potentially harmful emails at all costs.

Maybe its time to run the Security Tango.

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »

Huh
And another two to me, this morning  Lips Sealed

Wink
James

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: