Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:18:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible enhancement ... solo follow chords  (Read 4847 times)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« on: June 28, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »

I'd like to get some feedback on this before I start to code.

I see some folks writing fairly complicated bits of music using bass lines. It's not exactly intuitive to do it this way Smiley

So, I'm wondering if this would work ...

Take the existing SOLO (or melody) track and add a new keyword:

FollowChord  (or something like this)

and probably add a BaseChord=C ... again, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Now, you write a solo line. But when doing this you must remember that you are playing against a C chord (or whatever you set the base to). Now, when MMA compiles this, it will adjust each note in the solo to the underlying chord.

So, here's a little example. Assume you have 2 lines of solo. We'll be very creative and have 4 1/4 notes of a C scale.

Solo Riff 4c;d;e;f;
1  C
Solo Riff 4c;d;e;f;
2  C

and now it will get compiled just a written.

But, change the chords:

Solo Riff 4c;d;e;f;
1  C
Solo Riff 4c;d;e;f;
2  G

Now, the first 4 notes are the same. But, the 2nd 4 become offset by a 3rd. They'll now be g, a, b, c+ (or something like that ... it's late here).

If you want to use this as a repeating pattern (like a normal sequence) a bit more magic from my end would be required, but it's pretty much all there right now. It might even require a new track type, but that is my problem Smiley

Useful to anyone? Comments? Suggestions?

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
alexis

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 02:57:27 PM »

Now, the first 4 notes are the same. But, the 2nd 4 become offset by a 3rd.
...by a fifth, you mean?

If you want to use this as a repeating pattern (like a normal sequence) a bit more magic from my end would be required, but it's pretty much all there right now. It might even require a new track type, but that is my problem Smiley
Useful to anyone? Comments? Suggestions?
You want to implement a repetitive melodic/bass line following chord root, right?
I like it and think it would be very useful. But IMHO, you should find in MMA all (four) combinations between:
  • Repetitive / one-shot melodic line
  • Chord-dependant / chord-independent melodic line

Best,

Alexis
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:43:14 PM »

Yes, fifth it is Smiley

Thinking a bit more about all this and I'm thinking that it's probably fairly simple to do as everything is in the Solo/Melody stuff.

If I simply add a Sequence option to these tracks I can check for that as the music is processed. A sequence would be the same as any other ... just slightly different syntax:

Solo Sequence {4a;b;c;d;} {...} {...} {...}

for a 4 bar pattern.

Now, when there is a riff defined that will take precedence, just like other tracks. No need for special commands ... well, maybe for a root/offset.

Also, it'll have to obey the CHORDS option as well ... just like other tracks.

I'll do some coding later this week and we'll see what comes out.

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »

I've got this enhancement working here ... will put up a beta to test real soon. But, so you get the idea and, hopefully, can send some suggestions out, I've done a little modification on an existing track (from bossanova.mma) to show how it works. First, here is the original bass track:

Begin Bass
   Sequence  B13  Basic  /  /
   Accent 1 20
   SeqRnd On
   RVolume 20
   Rtime 5
   Voice JazzGuitar
   Octave 3
   Articulate 70
   Volume mf
End

And, here is the equivalent (sounds the same to me!) using a melody track:

Begin Melody-Bass
   Voice JazzGuitar
   Octave 3
   SeqRnd on
   Rvolume 20
   Rtime 5
   Volume mf
   Articulate 70
   Voicing FollowChord=On Root=c
   Sequence {4c;r;g;r;} {4.c;8g;4.g;8c;} / /
End

The point of all this is that it's probably a lot easier to write out a melody-type line using something resembling standard notation, that it is using offsets Smiley Well, for me it is.

Key to the melody track are the new directives FollowChord=On and Root=C. This tells the melody track to adjust all the notes in the sequence to the underlying chord(s) in the track and that the notes in the sequence are based on the chord being a "C".

It's raining here ... still and again! So, got to play with something!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: