Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:09:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Out Of Commission...for now...  (Read 15581 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »

The side opposite the fan assembly should just slide out.  If it doesn’t I really can’t tell without looking at it.  If you can determine what case it is then google that case and there will be instructions on how to open it up.  If not google the exact ID of the computer, name and model number, and look for those instructions.  Sorry that I can’t help more.

If you can prove that the computer was advertised as a 6-core but is only a dual core then you can demand your money back.  My son and daughter both work for Walmart and they both said if you have the sales receipt and possibly the shipping instructions you can get your money back.  My son, a T&L manager, said it sounds like may have shipped you the wrong computer.

One last thought, I don’t know about your local computer guys but up here for the same amount of money you spent they could have built you a very good custom music computer with off the shelf high grade products.

I had made that assumption,that the panel slides out,but like I had said,it won't budge.As for returning the computer..well...I've had it for about a year and on the website,it said that it's not eligible for a return(but then-if in fact,it's only a dual core,I guess that warrants an exception to their policy). Roll Eyes
However though...I've been wondering...according to my brother,a 6 core processor would have more than 2 RAM slots(which it doesn't) and since there's no website that can scan my whole computer..well...no way to confirm anything...unless of course,my brother is correct in his assertion. Undecided

By the way,the very same computer I had bought(Cyberpower Gamer Dragon GDA2800),is now going for $800! Huh

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=15773571

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 12:59:37 AM »

Thom, it is a 6 core processor.

There is a difference in how they advertise.  I have an Intel i7.  It is a 4 core hard processor but each hard core has two virtual cores in it, this it is an 8-core processor. Yours is a 6 core virtual processor.  Not to worry about this.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 03:41:36 AM »

Thom, it is a 6 core processor.

There is a difference in how they advertise.  I have an Intel i7.  It is a 4 core hard processor but each hard core has two virtual cores in it, this it is an 8-core processor. Yours is a 6 core virtual processor.  Not to worry about this.

Mario,

Thanks for clearing that up...good to know I didn't get ripped off...though I still don't know the difference between a "hard",versus a "virtual" processor. Huh Grin

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »

Think of it this way Thom.  A hard core processor is one computer chip. This chip can do two different things at once; thus a hard core processor (chip) is two virtual processors.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »

Think of it this way Thom.  A hard core processor is one computer chip. This chip can do two different things at once; thus a hard core processor (chip) is two virtual processors.

What's curious though,is that nor the box the PC came in,or any paperwork I could find,had it in writing,that it is a 6 core processor(which is why at one point,I was pretty much convinced it only was a dual core).

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 07:44:09 PM »

When you open your case to install the ram check the ID on the CPU.  If it matches the ID from that Walmart web site then it is a 6 core.  If not you may have been taken, but before you get pissed check out the CPU id on the internet.  Many times the mfg will make a subtle change to a chip and then give it a different id. I was basing all of my information on data as I can not actually see your machine.

An after thought; if you are running Win 7 left click on My Computer and at the bottom of that window your CPU type will be listed.  At least it does on my version of win7.

On a side note I am leaving on a vacation/holiday for a few days tomorrow morning so I may not be available during that time. It’s our 45th wedding anniversary and we are taking a second honeymoon.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 01:49:44 AM »

Mario,

I checked the info under "my computer" and it reads X6...so I guess that represents 6 cores.As for the casing,the side panel with the fan on it,is the panel that slides off...with considerable ease,I might add. Smiley

Cyberpower support got back to me today and gave me the instructions for which panel to remove.Now,it's just a matter of waiting for my return purchase of the RAM board I had bought at Staples,to be credited back to my card.....at which time I will place an order with kahlon.com for the necessary boards I need and I'll be up and running! Cheesy

Thanks for all of your input,much appreciated.

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »

On a side note I am leaving on a vacation/holiday for a few days tomorrow morning so I may not be available during that time. It’s our 45th wedding anniversary and we are taking a second honeymoon.
Best of times to you and the missus, Mr, D.
45 years - now THAT'S a relationship! Shocked

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »

Best of times to you and the missus, Mr, D.
45 years - now THAT'S a relationship! Shocked

Indeed....quite an impressive run...congrats & enjoy your honeymoon my friend! Cool

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »

Thom, be careful when you take the panel off.  The Fan is connected with some very thin wires that should unplug near the fan.  Be sure to either unplug the fan or keep the panel very close to the case.  DO NOT just pull the panel off as it could brake the wires.

Also, an AMD x6 IS a six core processor.

Good luck!

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 11:44:55 PM »

Oren and Thom, thanx for wishing us a good time!  And yes we are having a blast! Don’t ask me why the wife has stayed with me for 45 years!  I don’t know why!  But I guess love concurs all wOO

PS - as you have probably guessed we have wifi here.  I’m typing this on a 10” notebook.  What a PITA after a 25” monitor and a REAL keyboard Sad  We had a very busy day today so we are resting before partaking in some more partying!

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 02:09:16 AM »

Thom, it looks like you’re back!

GREAT  wOO

So I’m going to assume that the ram upgrade went ok, right?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: