Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:18:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy ?  (Read 6572 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Mario, Thom and any others  Shocked

Hope all is well with you guys over there  Kiss

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:44:44 PM »

James, thank you for your concern.

We have had three days of rain and now with Sandy coming we are expecting five more days of rain, heavy at times.  We are expecting winds of 50-70 mph (80-112 kph) so many trees are expected to fall taking with them power lines.  Although our power, TV and phone cables are under ground about 1 mile from us they go above ground.  If you don’t hear from me it is because we are without power.  We are prepared!

Thom is located near where the storm’s eye is expected to touch ground.  Hopefully he is OK.

It looks like I will be bringing out my original DAW again, pencils and staff paper  Cool   The biggest problem with that is my pencil does not have a spell checker  Angry Grin

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:53:55 PM »

In my lifetime we've only had two such events - the 1953 storm surge and the 1987 hurricane. I don't know how you guys manage to put up with this sort of thing on a regular basis Shocked
Respect!Hope, you're all keeping safe.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:21:17 PM »

Well we made it through the night. Heavy rain with winds around 70-90 mph. We were very fortunate in that we did not have any damage to our house plus we never lost power. There are 1,000s of people around us without power right now. Along the shore of Lake Ontario approximately 3,000 people had to evacuate do to high waves. Some of those homes I hear got significant damage. My neighbor lost is porch’s awning and it ripped out some of his porch screens. 

It looks like the worst is over here.  It is suppose to rain now for the next 6 days with winds today around 20-30 mph.  Right now it is still and not raining but that should change soon according to the weather reports.

Thanx for your concern and prayers.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:18 PM »

As all of you have probably seen in the news,the southern part of N.J. was hit the worst,but fortunately for me,I not only live in a fortified building(power-wise),but also live about 10 miles inland from the shoreline of Seaside Heights(which is one of the ground zero points of the hurricane's central path).
I'm not entirely unaffected by the storm,as what normally occurs in bad weather,is that the main electrical line is out...but prior to this particular hurricane,there was always a back-up line that gave our apartments about 50% of our usual amount of electricity....but this time,all the power was wiped out for 4 days.
Up until today,all we had to go on,was the power from the building's generator(which only powered the emergency lighting in the hallways and the common areas of the first floor.
What little power was left,was for one elevator,running water(still no hot water and of course no heat either) & power to one electrical outlet in the community room on the 1st floor(this powered the television and the DVD player in that room....so at least all of us in my building didn't have to sit in the dark for 4 days.

As things are now,I have hot water...but still no heat...so I pulled a "MacGyver" and covered my bedroom and hall doorways with blankets and I have 10 candles burning,which give off a surprising amount of heat.
There's about a 15 degree difference between my bedroom,versus the rest of my apartment(bedroom is roughly 60 degrees,whereas everywhere else is about 45 degrees).

Before the local grocery stores resumed to open,I began to panic a bit over my food situation..as I only had about $25 left to my name before the storm...so as it was then,I had about 3 days worth of tuna and crackers.
Over the those next 3 days after the storm,most everyone banned together and pooled all of their stockpiles of food together...so that helped me out  bit.
Interestingly enough,the day that the generator died,the back up power line powered up again...so all things considered,all of us here in the building,managed quite well...but for those that are confined to wheelchairs and survive on oxygen tanks to breath..well...that got a bit daunting at times for some,but the hospital down the street from us,kept the folks with dire needs going,throughout this whole ordeal.

As I am sure all of you are aware by now,in N.J....there were as much as 89 MPH winds,about 74 people killed,2.6 million without power,hundreds of people without homes and as far as I know...the only other areas that were devastated,were some of the coastal areas of N.Y....such as Queens,Staten Island & Coney Island.
I had also heard that there were as much as 8 million without power in N.J. at one point and as for New York,Mayor Bloomberg anticipates N.Y. to regain full power by this Saturday.

Thanks to all of you for your concern and I'm glad that Mario is fine(but I wasn't too worried),due to where he is located.As for underground electrical wiring,my parents' retirement community has that type of wiring and I wish more areas were desgined this way.

-Thom

* Sandy's Aftermath.jpg (120.88 KB, 604x604 - viewed 503 times.)

* Sandy's Aftermath 2.jpg (114.74 KB, 604x604 - viewed 506 times.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:56:53 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:20 PM »

My apartment fortification....

* Blankets.jpg (82.54 KB, 744x288 - viewed 487 times.)

* Candle Heat.jpg (73.45 KB, 504x504 - viewed 519 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:59:03 PM »

Pleased to see you're OK... ish Roll Eyes and impressed that the neighbours got together and supported each other.

My sympathies for those that didn't fare so well.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »

I'm so glad to hear that you guys are well.  Shocked

We were all quite concerned, friends.  Kiss

Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 12:55:59 AM »

I'm so glad to hear that you guys are well.  Shocked

We were all quite concerned, friends.  Kiss

Wink
James

Yes, we were very concerned.

It sounds like great people surround you.  I’m glad everything is getting better.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »

Some more stunning pics I've found...

* Sandy's Aftermath 3.jpg (151.14 KB, 404x404 - viewed 488 times.)

* Sandy's Aftermath 4.jpg (220.47 KB, 504x504 - viewed 495 times.)

* Sandy's Aftermath 5.jpg (215.37 KB, 504x504 - viewed 488 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »

Shocked

* Sandy's Aftermath 6.jpg (230.9 KB, 504x504 - viewed 505 times.)

* Sandy's Aftermath 7.jpg (229.62 KB, 504x504 - viewed 498 times.)

* Sandy's Aftermath 8.jpg (215.05 KB, 504x504 - viewed 468 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: