Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:05:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording Guitar  (Read 5331 times)
Servetus

Heretic

« on: June 26, 2007, 12:26:23 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to collaborate with a friend of mine, he'd be adding guitar (and possibly vocals)- I just have one lil problem...

How exactly is the best way to get a digital recording of guitar?

Ideally I'd like to have him be able to run it through my computer live..

Advice?

Thanks,
-Servetus

I like.. sound.
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 07:44:46 AM »

There are a lot of possibilities and solutions for recording guitar nowadays. It all depends on the gear you already have that will determine what kind of gear you still need to record a guitar. And off course what will be the least expensive road to go.

If you want to record a guitar through an amp. You'll need a mic (dynamic or condenser) and  if you're using a condenser mic you'll also need a pre-amp. Next the signal may be routed through a mixer or you can opt for going straight into your soundcard. That is if your soundcard has at least two jack inputs. (stereo- in) So that's one way to go.

If you still need to buy a mike you can also consider getting a usb mic. (There's at least one brand that has one at the moment but I don't remember which one. I think it could be Samson)

If you have nothing at all of the above gear then the cheapest and best way to record a guitar is going for the Toneport or Guitarport by Line 6. Recording is done through usb and with an additional software package that provides all kind of amp simulations.

Another even cheaper way would be, if you do own a soundcard with jack inputs, to plug the guitar straight into the soundcard. (watch your levels though) and get some freebie vst amp simulations. You can search the kvr database for these. (www.kvraudio.com)

Hope this helps

Martin
Servetus

Heretic

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:47:27 AM »

Awesome.

Thanks a lot for the thorough response, I'll probably be going the usb mic/ soundcard w/ inputs route.

Thanks again,
-Servetus

I like.. sound.
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:48:52 PM »

Thanks a lot for the thorough response, I'll probably be going the usb mic/ soundcard w/ inputs route.

Good idea, let us know how it works, I've never seen a usb/mic and it could be an interesting solution

Cheers
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »

There is also the Line6 pod, Digitech DPseries, or V-Amp way of recording. These are amp simulators that send a line level signal to the soundcard complete with speaker cab emulation, etc.
 A great way to go as it saves a lot of work on setup and mic placement. Lot lighter than an actual amp too!

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: