Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:05:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Visuals for live gigs  (Read 45963 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: January 27, 2013, 12:30:18 AM »

I'm currently working on visuals which are to be projected at our next 87PM gig and I thought I'd share some of that info with you all.

A couple of years ago, we did this for the first time and we used the freeware AV Mixer Lite and a couple of freeware abstract visuals. A friend of ours was able using this software to live choose, mix and change visuals which were then projected behind us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek4MoP3DiY0).

This time, we're looking to take another step so we'll be using the commercial package Cell DNA which allows for a much more advanced modification of the source material, including live 3D effects. I've now also started work on creating visuals myself using the 3D software Art Of Illusion (not perfect, but free). After a bit of experimentation, this is my first little creation which shows an approach to a planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBSmF-6jHpo.

It's kind of interesting and at the same time confusing to be working on this from the perspective of the artist (what visuals do I want for my music?) as well as the practical (what software is available to create with) and the technical (what can I actually achieve with that music?) but at the same time, I find that the limitations in one area drive the solution in others. For example, things that I can't achieve in AoI are done in another way by importing the movie in my movie editor (Sony Vegas Moviestudio) and then layering and processing with still images or other movies that I found.

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »

Great stuff. I look forward to seeing how this develops. It's a point of sadness to me that I seem to be 'mute' in the visual arts. I can enjoy other's work but simply can't create anything myself Cry

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »

Thanks! Tbh., I myself am really in awe of what real visual artists can do with animation and creating new visuals so I don't consider this to be really competing with that on any level. But like I said, limits do sometimes deliver happy accidents and you try to paint pictures with what you have. As with the music I do, I know what I want once I see or hear it. Smiley

For example - this will accompany the track Earth Evolved, which is supposed to start out with the earth in pre-primeordial times, just when the basic building blocks of life start to form. So I knew I wanted to have something that would represent Earth in those times, just after being formed and hit by asteroids and comets, still in the process of cooling down and forming a basic atmosphere. I also knew I wanted to approach the planet (which necessitated having the possibility of animation). Anyway, since I wasn't to familiar with the program I also wanted to do this VERY simple, so I had to keep it all simple. What you see is basically a sphere with a texture mapped to it that came with the program and that suited what I wanted. I then wanted to have a little more detail and movement, so I put another sphere around it, and mapped to that a translucent cloud texture which was also in the program. I animated that sphere to turn slightly while the actual 'earth' remains still. Finally, I animated both spheres to fly towards the camera.

I do like the animation system which allows you to pose different objects at a point in time and then keyframe them. The animation system will interpolate objects between keypoints so in this case I just had to use two keyframes, one for the start position and one for the end position. The cloud rotation is also animated with keyframes.

I'm still working out how to animate the textures themselves as I'd like to have the lava moving and boiling a bit, but at the moment it's baby steps. And to be honest, working stuff out often results in happy accidents that I can pass off as creative decisions! Smiley

The end result will be much cooler though, with a pic by NASA JPL as a starry background and stuff. Stay tuned!

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:34:07 PM »

Hi Marc, did you know this one: http://www.image-line.com/documents/zgameeditorvisualizer.html ?

Not that cheap,  (a bit less than 150 euro) but the examples look very promising.

Moon
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »

Nice work, Marc!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: