Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:03:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: After 32 years of service, my vocal microphone finally gave up...  (Read 8021 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« on: May 05, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »

...a Shure PE56D purchased new in 1981...
This puppy has seen a lot of off-key notes, cigarette smoke, spit, and beer breath. Kiss

* PE56D Shure 1981.JPG (2765.84 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 822 times.)

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »

It’s like losing a family member isn’t it!

I have a pre Shure SM57 mic called a Shure Unidyne III 545SD mic that I have had since the mid 60s.  It still works!  I used it for my vocals when I was playing out and now I use it for recording guitar cabinets.

They sure or Shure don’t make them liked the used too do they?

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »

...a Shure PE56D purchased new in 1981...
This puppy has seen a lot of off-key notes, cigarette smoke, spit, and beer breath. Kiss

And I'd bet real money (If I had lots of it) that the new replacement will not last nearly as long!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »

Yes gents, it's heart-rending...
but, I'm having a riot selecting the replacement! Cool

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »

So what actually happened to it? Did it just expire or was it murdered?
Inquiring minds need to know!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »

Deterioration due to time and harsh environment, methinks. Undecided
I suspect the "beginning of the end' occurred several years ago when a thoughtful member of the road crew cleaned the ugly deposits from it by the artful application of chlorine bleach. He claimed it was a method he had used many times with good results, and the mic looked gorgeous afterward, but the interior connections looked quite corroded when I disassembled to do the post-mortem.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »

Wow....chlorine bleach on a mic??Bleach is a very strong oxidizer and very corrosive to metals...even stainless steel...yikes! Shocked About 10 years ago...when I was financially destitute,I had to resort to buying a Radioshack brand Casio keyboard(fantastic for what it was though)...so in the interest of improving it's appearance,I wanted to remove a pesky decal/price tag sticker from it.

In doing so though,it left behind some residual adhesive,so I used a multi-surface cleaner(something along the lines of Windex) and although this was much less caustic than bleach,it was still strong enough to discolor the plastic chassis.

Since then,I have followed the maintenance warnings on all of my equipment to the letter & have been very diligent about it.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »

...I have followed the maintenance warnings on all of my equipment to the letter & have been very diligent about it.
That approach pays huge dividends in the long run. Cool
Trouble is, it's so easy to just deploy some horrendous cleaning product - and worry about the consequences later. Undecided

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »

If you ever need to remove a sticker from something just heat it with a hair dryer first. Not a 100% solution, but pretty close.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »

If you ever need to remove a sticker from something just heat it with a hair dryer first. Not a 100% solution, but pretty close.

That....combined with LA's Totally Awesome Orange cleaner,is the safest & most effective way to go.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »

Over here we've got a spray simply called 'sticky stuff remover' It works a treat, just leaves a slightly oily film that rubs off easily with a paper towel.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »

...we've got a spray simply called 'sticky stuff remover' It works a treat...

A formula has been recommended to me, involving vinegar (5% acetic acid) with fresh citrus peel soaked (steeped?) in it. The mild acid combined with the lime/orange/lemon oil is said to be an excellent all-round cleaner that is safe for most materials, and easy on the environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uOv_qPLHQI

http://www.green-talk.com/2012/03/28/orange-peel-vinegar-cleaner-make-your-own-green-cleaner/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: