Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why plugins are the worst investment  (Read 4957 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: August 03, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »

This http://therecordingrevolution.com/2013/08/02/why-plugins-are-the-worst-investment-in-your-studio/
is a very good read.  I have learned a lot form the recording revolution.  If you haven’t I would sign up for their newsletter now.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »

This http://therecordingrevolution.com/2013/08/02/why-plugins-are-the-worst-investment-in-your-studio/
is a very good read.  I have learned a lot form the recording revolution.  If you haven’t I would sign up for their newsletter now.

I took a quick glance at this article & although there is some good common sense presented,this article seems to be specifically addressing audio fidelity & the necessity of mastering plug-ins..rather than other effects that bring a unique character of sound..such as multi-effects that bring new dimensions to sound shaping.

I mean...if you've bought a mid-grade or an elite version of a DAW...well...I don't know why anyone would obsess about mastering effects...unless of course,one wants to assign blame to their existing effects,as the cause for their below par renderings not sounding pristine enough.

There is this one Reason user on the Propellerhead forums that incessantly complains about how is recordings sounds terrible and honestly thins Reason is to blame(despite the fact that there are plenty of Reason users among him,that post their incredibly wonderful sounding songs).

I think some of these kids should learn mastering skills the hard way,by starting out using hardware multi-trackers...because if you master their potential,then you will forge yourself into the zen-master mastering demi-god,of whatever software DAW you are using.

As for synth,sample-based and multi-effects that involve innovative ideas & programming...well...you can never have too many of them,as I've learned. Cool

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »

Working in Linux makes most of these points, er... pointless, but if you work in mac or windows, they are salient indeed.

Toys (shiny new plugins) are for playtime...  Cheesy 
When there is work to do, use your existing tools to their very best advantage.
Good one, Mario! Afro

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:54:37 PM »

My take is that having gazillions of plugins actually makes selecting the right one harder and more time consuming. There are so many different ways of getting almost the same sound Sad

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
SLD Music

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »

As for synth,sample-based and multi-effects that involve innovative ideas & programming...well...you can never have too many of them,as I've learned. Cool

Have to disagree with you there Thom.  The more options I have... the less music I get done.  

I guess I prefer to know a couple of synths / plug ins / and my single DAW REALLY well, rather than be constantly on the look out to try new things.  It saves me money, and it makes me more productive.  Once the basics were satisfied, the real time and money is spent in incremental, carefully considered improvements that compliment my own improvement in skill over time.  A better mic will eventually happen, because I've earned it by learning how to use the one I have.  A better mic pre-amp is on my list because I now have a better understanding and more skill to be able to effectively use it.  Slowly but surely--meanwhile, I'm making music and getting better, and that's the point.  I have PLENTY of synths and plug in effects.  Another one isn't going to make me sound any better.  In fact, more will have the opposite effect and just paralyze me, or force me to waste time learning a new tool, when I already know how to use another tool that'll do the job just as well.

Certainly, what I DO buy is pricy.  A Motif XF8, a couple of Focal CMS65 monitors.  A Steinberg MR816 audio interface.  A 27" imac.  Omnisphere.  Maschine.  These things aren't cheap, but then again, I'm not going to be looking to buy another keyboard, or another pair of monitor speakers for at LEAST the next 10-15 years. For me, the music is the goal, not the "greener" grass on the other side of the gear/plug-in fence...  Other people have different outlooks on that, though, and I totally get that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:50:34 PM by SLD Music » Logged
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »

Have to disagree with you there Thom.  The more options I have... the less music I get done.  

I guess I prefer to know a couple of synths / plug ins / and my single DAW REALLY well, rather than be constantly on the look out to try new things.  It saves me money, and it makes me more productive.  Once the basics were satisfied, the real time and money is spent in incremental, carefully considered improvements that compliment my own improvement in skill over time.  A better mic will eventually happen, because I've earned it by learning how to use the one I have.  A better mic pre-amp is on my list because I now have a better understanding and more skill to be able to effectively use it.  Slowly but surely--meanwhile, I'm making music and getting better, and that's the point.  I have PLENTY of synths and plug in effects.  Another one isn't going to make me sound any better.  In fact, more will have the opposite effect and just paralyze me, or force me to waste time learning a new tool, when I already know how to use another tool that'll do the job just as well.

Certainly, what I DO buy is pricy.  A Motif XF8, a couple of Focal CMS65 monitors.  A Steinberg MR816 audio interface.  A 27" imac.  Omnisphere.  Maschine.  These things aren't cheap, but then again, I'm not going to be looking to buy another keyboard, or another pair of monitor speakers for at LEAST the next 10-15 years. For me, the music is the goal, not the "greener" grass on the other side of the gear/plug-in fence...  Other people have different outlooks on that, though, and I totally get that.

To each his own my friend,but allow me to elaborate..in terms of how I work & precisely why I have such an extensive library of plug-ins.

First off,let me begin by explaining my mindset(as it were),when I bought my first DAW...which was Propellerhead Reason 4.Wonderful program(even back then,at that old version).
It had & still does have,amazing synth versatility,some great acoustic sounds,great workflow and infinite routing possibilities...BUT....especially back then,it had it's limitations..such as no audio recording and limited scripting ability with regard to the sample engines.
Of course now,Reason 7 has audio recording,but no updated sample engines(such as what NI's Kontakt 4 & 5 engines have),which is sufficient scripting to support higher quality sample libraries,such as orchestral sounds & in particular,string ensembles.

I had thought that Reason would be the only DAW I would ever need,but eventually,I realized that if I wanted more authentic sound orchestral sounds,I needed a more robust sample engine and Kontakt was the solution(hence the reason I had bought NI's Komplete 6)..along with Presonus S1 to host it.
A sample player's quality also limits the sonic possibilities of synth sounds as well,so even though Reason has infinite routing possibilities with it's various modules,they still can't produce the same sounds as programs like Alchemy.
Some people may find it a terrible waste of money,for me to buy additional sound libraries for Reason...but sound programming is not my specialty and perhaps,if I attended Berkeley & spent a small fortune on all of their classes on Reason...I may be able to a pseudo-genius programmer..but I'm more of a hands-on musician on a budget..rather than a affluent,technical,computer-zen-master. 

Neither of these said DAW's have video support and my former Acoustica Mixcraft was awash,so I still had yet to find a workable DAW for my video creation purposes and as far as Cubase goes..well...I understand that it is a very capable & very flexible DAW,but I simply never warmed up to Steinberg's e-Licensing and workflow.
I am certain though,that I would like something like Cubase 7...more than AI5 for obvious reasons,but Sonar always appealed to me and as far as I can tell,it's a very capable DAW as is Cubase and although Sonar X2 is overwhelmingly complex..well..that's okay with me,because the layout & the included sounds sets are much more interesting to me.

In all of my synth explorations,I've learned that not all synths are created equal,because it's the genius behind the programming that sets them apart(not just in terms of inspirational presets,but also sonic distinctiveness..indigenous to that particular synth program).

As far as mastering effects go,I wholeheartedly agree,that those specific effects that come with the DAW,are all one needs to master their recordings.
Also...making an analogy between microphones & synths is a non sequitur,in my opinion and besides which,I do not have a growing collection of microphones and in fact,my AKG Perception 100 mic,is the only professional microphone I have ever purchased and I still use it to this day.
With regard to synths once again,none of my synth programs go untouched as I've not abandoned any of them,so I don't feel I've wasted any money on them and since they all of their unique sonic characteristics,I don't feel that they're redundant(although of course,there are similarities among some presets).

All of the options that I've afforded myself,all have a purpose..which is inspiration.Yes..I have a lot of sounds to choose from,but I know my programs very well,so for the most part,I know where most everything is..when I need to call upon them.

We are both different types of musicians and unlike you,I am much more of an instrumentalist that writes music that's heavily synth orientated and as you know,my vast library of options does not slow me down,because I've spit out plenty of music,so I get a lot done musically.

I'll admit that I've bought a lot of studio monitors and hardware keyboards over the years that have gone by the wayside,but sometimes this is necessary to live and learn.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: