Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:43:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another truly ancient recovery - now with photo!  (Read 7885 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: November 03, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »

Sometime in 1993 I visited the Silent Pool in Surrey (famed for its stunningly clear water and tranquil setting). Inspired, I later had an all night composing session that resulted in a gentle background with three improvisations on top of it. Returning to it several days later I liked the composition, but was horrified by the timing errors. I like to stretch timing on slow lazy tunes but this was way to much. The problem was that I had six tracks that actually meshed with each other very well. It was the overall timing that was really dragging.

The first thing I tried was quantisation, but that was a nightmare to implement and completely destroyed the character of the tune. Then I tried increasing the tempo, but that only helped a little. Defeated, the project went in 'storage'. It wasn't until 2007 that I made another attempt. This time I painstakingly worked on just the last part of the tune, phrase by phrase, careful to retain the relationship between all parts. I also changed all the instrument sounds to their ZynAddSubFX counterparts. This sounded very much better, but I was totally exhausted, so back it went on the ToDo list.

Recently I discovered a new, non-destructive way of adjusting timing of MIDI tracks in Rosegarden so decided to have another go at this. Without giving away too many secrets I can now even adjust the length of individual notes, but across ALL tracks at the same time. No more changing one track, then bringing the others in one at a time to synchronise. It's not perfect, but then I don't think I want 'perfect'. However after 20 years in limbo I'm happy with it. The final change, that gave a surprising good result was to shift the key down from C to Bb.

So, finally, from Yoshimi and Rosegarden here is 'Sleepy Hollow'.

* Sleepy_Hollow.ogg (4770 KB - downloaded 312 times.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:55:31 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »

And for the oggicly challenged...

* Sleepy_Hollow.mp3 (5100.8 KB - downloaded 296 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:16:54 AM »

Tranquil...sleepy..slightly eerie & love that harpsichord-esque sound. Cool

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »

1993 was the year my wife and I "emigrated" to Vancouver Island. It was the year I stopped eating flesh - and the year I cut off all my hair.

Perhaps a year of inspiration for both of us, Mr G.? Wink
Very nice bit of work, by the way... Afro

(the hair is back, but the other lifestyle changes remain)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »

Got it right on the button, Thom. Perfectly matches the place Smiley

Thanks also Oren.

- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »

Well, today was a beautiful sunny day, so I decided it was high time I visited the Silent Pool again. It looks pretty much as it did all those years ago, and here's the photo Smiley

* Silent Pool.JPG (666.37 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 628 times.)

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

...tranquility...  Kiss

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:50:43 AM »

Sounds great to me Will!

Very good work here.

I liked the way this carried me away to your Silent Pool, I could picture it when listening.

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:22 PM »

Grin

- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: