Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:44:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something rather different  (Read 4033 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: July 31, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »

Today, there was actually a breath of wind along with wall-to-wall sunshine, so I finally had a decent walk without a sweat bath! I went along a little travelled part of the North Downs Way, including a section between Farthing Common and the village of Postling.

Here I noticed a sound that once heard is never forgotten, so I got out my camera PDQ, the result being the first of these pictures. Yep, that is a privately owned, genuine WW2 Spitfire, still maintained (and I understand, with a continuous log record back to its wartime service). The second picture is of the grass airfield it calls home. That part of the NDW is the only place it is visible from, and it's almost impossible to find by road!

* Farthing_08.jpg (685.87 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 523 times.)

* Farthing_22.jpg (610.22 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 515 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »

Grass runway, eh?  Shocked

I have a fondness for no-nonsense machinery, whether it be automobiles, firearms, farm equipment, sewing machines, outboard motors... you get the picture.  Cheesy
That Spitfire qualifies, hands down.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »

Nice pictures wOO

It would be super if you could crop the plane out of the picture and make it larger without getting a lot of pixelation.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »

That vintage plane is definitely a thing of beauty! Cool
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »

I thought you guys would like it Smiley

@Mario
The photos were taken with max optical zoom on my camera, but are reasonably high resolution. If you download them and then zoom in on a viewer of your choice you'll find there is quite a lot of detail there - indeed you can clearly see the decals on the underside of the wings Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: