Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Monitors  (Read 9683 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: July 23, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »

Currently I have a pair of Samson Monitors. They are great...considering what they cost (<400 euro!)
I'm considering to upgrade my monitors to something better. I'm looking for something good, that would even allow me to do some mastering. If I understand correctly, mixing monitors are not the same thing as mastering monitoring, but if you plan to do both, you should go for something like:
- Genelec 8020A
- Dynaudio Acoustics BMA5
- Mackie 824
Or if you can afford it:
- Dynaudio Acoustics BM15A
- Genelec 1037C (way out of my budget  Embarrassed)

Also, I read somewhere that the Blue Sky monitors are good for both mixing and mastering  Huh

Can anybody give me some feedback/advice?
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »

You should also take a look at KRK's range of monitors. I have the KRK RP5 which I like and I believe KRK just released a new line of monitors.

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »

Yes, KRK has also great monitors. What else are you guys using?
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:45:26 PM »

I'm using 8" Behringers (truth). Really pretty accurate and they are cheap. However, one of these days when I run out of things to buy, I'll get a set of 824's.
If I was rich, then Genelics

Actually maybe the best way, is to see/hear them all at your local music store. But be careful not to fall for the ones that "sound" the best. Many manufacturers will color the sound slightly to sound better. What you want is the most accurate.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »

Hmm don't confuse nearfield monitors with mastering monitors.
Not at all the same beast and not the same price neither....

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:44:23 PM »

One band I'm involved with (simpletonguru) uses the blue sky 2.1 monitors at their recording location and everyone is very pleased with them. The only complaints about the system (power on/off location and hookups) have been dealt with in the new version which has a small pod as a controller/hookup center. They've even dropped the base price on them recently.

They are very clear, precise monitors with very good detail.  However there is a lot of adjustment possible on the subwoofer for frequency range and volume so they are not necessarily flat.
 I like them a lot though. Very clear.

I use the M-Audio LX4 2.1 at home for nearfields and a Nakamichi/JBL combo for mastering at full volume. And nothing leaves here for any paying gigs unless I've listened to it thru the AKG240s headphones too. They reveal a lot of errors other monitoring methods miss, like edit clicks from waveforms not aligned perfectly, etc.

But, anyway, the blue sky setup is very good.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 06:44:10 AM »

rharv,

Thanks for the tips. I saw already a lot of advertisment on the blue sky, buts didn't realize their so good.

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 05:07:08 AM »

Hello Moon,

I don't know how knowledgable you are about monitors and I am not by any means,a professional recording engineer myself,but I will say that there is an incredible amount of variables & factors for what makes an exceptional monitor,as well as achieving the best results for your monitors to serve you well,by monitor placement,room size & acoustical conditions.

I'm guessing that you either have the Samson Resolv 65a's or the 80a's?
If this is the case,then I am to assume that you have a medium sized room?

If I am reasonably close in my raw estimations of your situation,then I would say that the Genelec 8020a's are not right for you.While they are exceptional speakers
in many respects,they are too small for your room-even with a subwoofer added in.

Given thier size,the bass response is fair,but not a broad enough frequency range on the low end,especially compared to your Samson's range.

Secondly,the dispertion pattern of a dome tweeter is limited,& especially lacking in a medium to large size room.
Also,dome tweeters in this price range do not have alot of accuracy & durablity,in comparison to other designs of tweeters in a higher price range.

Another thing to take note of,is that under extreme conditions, such as loud volumes for prolonged periods of time,will eventually cause titanium in the dome tweeter to "work harden"-meaning that while titanium is strong & flexible-it will eventually become brittle over time,after having been subjected to temperature differentials-resulting in deterioration of accuracy.

I own a pair of Adam A7's,but I have no basis for comparison between these & the Dynaudio's,Blue Sky & the Mackie's-as I have not listened to those 3 brands,but if you want to talk about "bang for the buck",I think that the Adams are the best value out there for what you get,at a $1,000 per pair-which is why I made the decision to buy the Adams-without even hearing them first,because I was so impressed with the info I had found on these monitors-based on online research!

With regard to mixing & mastering,I am obviously no expert,but I will say this about the Adams,when you consider all of the research & development,thier exclusive patented technolgy & high quality design,components & materials that make these wonderful monitors what they are-which are impeccably accurate,versatile & durable-all at a great price point,due to the fact that they are designed in Germany,but manufactured in another country with a much favorable currency exchange.
The A7 model is the only one to be outsourced to another country which means that a pair of these monitors would have been easliy twice as much,if they were also manufactured in Germany.
The best way I know to describe these incredible monitors is this;

A carbon fiber/rohacell foam sandwich for the woofer,which makes the bass driver incredible light & durable with great dialectric properties,resulting in exceptional accuracy.
Equally accurate,is the folded ribbon tweeters made of nomex,which is a very durable material-also used by NASA-giving the tweeters a very broad frequency range,resulting in very accurate & resilliant tweeters.

A key element in measuring the sonic qualties of a speaker is the speaker's ability to move air.The Adams push 4 times as much air than the typical monitor.
Another way for me to better describe how stunning these monitors are is to give you this analogy;

If you take a paper clip & throw it with an outstretched arm across the room,versus taking a paper clip & placing it on your hand & flicking it with your thumb & forefinger,which method will send the paper clip the furthest with the least amount of physical energy applied?
Obviously there is no contest between the two.

This is how efficient & accurate these monitors are!

Also they deliver so much bass,clarity & volume for thier compact size,that you will not believe your ears!
They have 6.5 inch woofers in them,but they sound much bigger and they are perfect for medium sized rooms.
They also have front mounted power & volume controls & and room modification controls in the back of them.
I cannot say enough good things about these monitors,as they made an astonishing difference in my mixes & mastering.

Of course,the subject of monitors is a very objective one & to each his own,but just giving you more food for thought.

I hope my input helped you. Cool

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:05:12 PM »

That is quite a price jump, from $350 for the bluesky to $1000 for the Adams.
 I know you really like them, but do you really hear that much difference? I'm asking for future reference. I upgrade regularly.
I'm not against spending that amount- I spent for the JBL's, but those are full three ways handling being fed from a 500 watt Nakamichi amp with a very wide frequency range. For smaller nearfields I know they get that pricey, just wondering if they get that much better.
 What is it you hear- clarity, depth of field,seperation, presence?
 Do you feel they are 'flat' or are they one of those speakers that makes everything sound better (enhancing)?

I only ask because I trust opinions here.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »

Hey Rharv,

I upgraded from my Samson 50a's to the Adam A7's because I could not find better overall quality for a grand-as I see it.
My decision to splurge into this price range,was a very pre-meditated & methodical move on my part & I had no doubts whatsoever that these monitors were perfect for what I am using them for.
Do I hear that much difference?Absolutely!
Let me put it to you this way; listening to a cd on these monitors is the next best thing to actually having a band playing live in front of you-& I am not the only one that feels this way...there are product reviews from people that say the very same thing.
The depth of the cabinet,the components & the speaker materials all contribute to a breathtaking bass response,clarity & a sweetspot I have never heard before.
If you want even more bass,there are eq settings in the back,including mid & high frequency controls.
Yes,they give a very flat,true & uncolored response-which I love,but like I said,you have controls to play with if you want to sweeten the sounds to fit your pallete,so you could use them as part of a home theatre system if you wanted to and Adam even makes a optional subwoofer,if you wanted to go that route.

Another thing to consider that adds to the accuracy of self powered monitors,is that because active monitors have there own individual amps for each driver,coupled with electronic crossovers(found in the Adam A7's)-they provide the most optimal conditions for overall sonic clarity.

The Adam A7's provide the most broadest of low & high frequency ranges & durablity for it's size in the $1,000 range,so that's what your paying for.

If you venture over to adam-audio.com & take a look at all the other models & thier prices,-you will realize what a bargain the A7's are.

I think these monitors are ideal for various applications,such as small to medium sized studios,home theatres,or just a killer shelf stereo set up.

Overall,I think these speakers are a sonic hurricane & they will make you see God when you listen to them!

I hope my additional input helped you answer your quiry further. Cool

Elwood

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 08:09:18 PM »

Thanks Elwood, the web address will come in handy for research.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: