Kara-Moon Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:04:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Improvisation  (Read 5328 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: December 09, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »

Preamble Roll Eyes

While working on Yoshimi, I have to keep checking that improvements haven't changed the sound at. This is really critical to me. If the sound were to change, well, it wouldn't be Yoshimi anymore. At the same time, I need to test new features and the extra sounds they make possible. This can be quite tedious, but has an upside - I end up with a handful of new voice patches.

Today, I was off work and decided to forget all the things I was supposed to do and just futz around (that's a technical term). So, two keyboards into two channels of Yoshimi with two new voices, and just hit record and play Smiley

Here it is, warts and all, including hesitations when I was thinking (Sh1t! Where next?)

The background pad I call Ghost Ensemble, and the lead is Angel Harp.

* Improv.ogg (5041.55 KB - downloaded 467 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »

... and the mp3 Smiley

* Improv.mp3 (3398.2 KB - downloaded 297 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »

Ghosts and angels - you keep some proper cool company, Mr. G.

(sounded wart-free to me  Kiss )

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:59:56 PM »

Today, I was off work and decided to forget all the things I was supposed to do and just futz around (that's a technical term). So, two keyboards into two channels of Yoshimi with two new voices, and just hit record and play Smiley

So, this is just a real-time recording? I think I will have to look into yoshimi. I've not bothered with synths on my linux boxes for many years ... last time I did the latency was so bad I could grab my coffee during the delay between keypresses and notes.

Nice bit of playing, BTW!

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:48:13 PM »

Thanks guys.

Yep this was live straight into the box. I've actually been able to run just one USB keyboard and simpler sounds into Yoshimi on an eeePC900 Smiley

If you want to give it a try, Arch Linux always carries the latest version, or you can build from http://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshim

It will run any combination of ALSA and Jack (not pulse audio) yoshimi --help gives you all the connection info. I find ALSA MIDI and Jack audio works best for me.

- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »

Sounds great to me Will.  I didn't hear any warts, just super playing, and music!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »

Super tasty...exhilarating..thought provoking...stiflingly warm sounds & a great composition to match...nice!  Cool
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »

Thanks a lot Thom. That's quite an accolade!

- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: