Kara-Moon Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sequencing techniques of Fusion users?  (Read 7288 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 27, 2007, 05:59:24 AM »

Since I am brand new-out-of-the-box to this group and after having listened to several user demos-I was wondering how most or all of you,were sequencing your music,since the Fusion does not have pattern sequencing?I'm guessing most of you are using a computer or external sequencer?
I am really curious to know,as I myself,much prefer to do all of my recording on a single unit-as I don't care to venture outside of a workstation keyboard.
In fact,you might say that I am very spoiled by my Korg Extreme,having done all my recording on a single unit thus far.
I must confess that I despise computers,as they never cease to be a headache for me,but I am willing to try out a external sequencer device,once I buy a Fusion.
Any input on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Grin

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 06:36:11 AM »

Hi and welcome to our forum.

Some feedback on sequencing: I use 2 type of sequencers:
- software: I fully understand you feeling, a PC remains a PC and software is, well... software. However, software and PC have really improved. I've used many different softwares. Today, I'm using Cakewalks SONAR 6 and up until now, it never let me down. It's very, very stable, but it will take you some time to get use to it.
- hardware sequencer: try to get hold of Yamaha's QY700. This is the greatest sequencer ever build!!! I really don't understand why they stopped this product line. The QY700 is the perfect example of how a sequencer should work and even today, software developers could learn from this device. (I wish somebode made a software version of this thing.) You can pickup a used QY700 on ebay and never have to worry about software  Wink

Hopes this info gets you on the way...

Moon
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 08:04:47 AM »

Hi & Welcome here  Cool

Like I said in my other post, I'm mostly a hardware man.

I have a couple of hardware synths on which I spend a lot of time to learn them (very important, know your gear !)

I do very litle sequencing as such, because I play a lot live in my recordings. But the tracks I sequence as midi are mainly done in my Yamaha QY sequencer, I do agree with Moon that it is a great machine which has no equivalent on the market.

As for audio recording, I use allso a hardware multitrack recorder, the BOSS BR600. It has excelent AD/DA convertors and good recording quality with integrateed CMOS fx and track can easily be transfered to the PC with his USB interface.

As for final tweaking on the mix and premastering I use my PC.
The final mix is allways done in Audacity, again there are a lot of softwares out there but this is the one i know best. Premastering i do in Powertracks from Pgmusic. An excelent and cheap software, we have a couple members here that use it.
This my workmethod for my usual music, which is jazz & post.

Sometimes I do allso some experiments in the electronic music domain.
For this I mainly use a tracker, which is a special kind of sequencer. Reason I use this is mainly historical, trackers where actually invented before sequencers (in the AMIGA days) and it was the first software i used. I still like to use it for the workflow which is very pattern oriented. I'm a long time user of Buzz and I'm in the process of switching to Renoise.

Tools don't matter a lot, as long as you know them  Shocked Cool

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 04:37:39 PM »

Elwood!

All the way from AudioMinds. Thanks for showing up, dude!

You'll find the people here are much more about music, and less about technology (other than as a tool to make a better song). Talented composers, musicians, instrumentalists, and singers.

I use Band-in-a-Box as a writing/arranging tool, PowerTracks Pro Audio for recording/mixing, and Audacity/WinLame for tonal shaping and file conversion. All on a home computer with Creative Labs SB Audigy Platinum. Don't hate me, man... Grin

Good to see you in the neighbourhood, Dennis!

Oren.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:57:26 PM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »

Kara & Moon,

Thanks so much for the info and it would be very helpful if I was interested in computer sequencing,but to be completely candid with you-I bought my first pc when I was 36(2 years ago),because I relied on WebTV for the internet-that is until I got fed up with dial-up.

I then reluctantly got a pc,with the sole purpose of internet browsing,printing cd covers,downloading music etc..-just basic use.I still feel that way to this day.

With all of the advances and low costs of keyboard workstations these days,for me,computer sequencing is null in void.

As much as I love the Alesis Fusion for what it is,I am very frustrated and shocked that it does not have pattern sequencing-which to me,does not really validate it as being a workstation.
Since I don't purchase used equipment ever,seemingly,my only option is to spend $700 on a Akai MPC500 and it's just absurd to spend nearly the same amount of money on a sequencer-just to have the ablity to pattern record.

If Alesis has some valid reason as to why they left out pattern sequencing in thier Fusion-they're not revealing it to anyone.
People have been complaining about the absence of pattern sequencing for the last 2 years and Alesis is not budging an inch on this matter.

I have contacted Alesis,sales engineers at Sweetwater & the staff of the Fusioneer forum and NO ONE has a clue as to why there is no pattern recording on the Fusion(aside from sheer speculation).
I basically want to use the Fusion as an audio recorder and to use it's sounds to layer my Korg Extreme sequences-but if I ever want to sequence exclusively on the Fusion-I am still really lost on what direction I will be going with that-if ever.

Thanks again,& I am glad to be a part of this forum Cool

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »

Thanks for the input and the warm welcome-much appreciated Cool

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:53:48 PM »

Elwood just out of curiousity... could you explain a bit what you call pattern sequencing.
If i think it is what you mean is what I think it is (oh boy), I think the qy-700 would be perfect for you

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »

Kara,

The way that I operate is this;I gradually build up a song recording various patterns in real time and then I quantize everything.

Elwood

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:55:11 PM »

Not being funny, but why do you quantize?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »

Hi Folderol,

If you mean,why don't I use step time recording?I don't read music,as I play & record soley by ear.I do understand basic notation values and also-for me,I find it very difficult to record several different tracks in real time without having some sort of timing errors.I do various different musical genres and tightening up rapid & complex compostions with quantizing is essential.
Does this answer your question adequately?

Elwood

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »

This is very much what I thought you'd say Smiley

I just wanted to to be clear in my mind.

I mostly play 'free form' myself and haven't had a lot of success with quantization, usually disliking the results. However I can see it would be an advantage with a particularly fast and complex piece of playing. I sometimes use step-time but then deliberately turn off the matrix lock so there are small 'errors'.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: