Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:10:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leonard Nimoy Dead at 83  (Read 4931 times)
elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« on: February 28, 2015, 02:25:39 AM »

Though Mr. Nimoy lived long & prospered,I am disturbed by his passing,due to the fact that...here is another life cut short by cigarettes.Though Leonard did quit smoking about 30 years ago,Nimoy believed that his COPD,was caused by his smoking habit(as it were) and I would agree.
My parents are the same age & they are former smokers & I wonder what keeps them alive.I figure that they could pass at any time and since I was conceived on cigarette smoke and had breathed in secondary smoke for the first 18 years of my life,I sometimes wonder how long I've got,before their habits take it's toll on my life.
I recall that in health class,I had learned that each cigarette reduces your life span by 14 minutes and being that both my parents & both of my brothers smoked,I'm sure I've lost quite a few years,thanks to all of them.

I told my mother what I had learned in health class,but it did not phase her.Her doctor had told her that cigarette smoke causes low birth weight in babies & still births,but she did not care(thanks to the insanity of her nicotine addiction.)
However...when my mother reached her 60's,she developed emphysema and being told here own life was at risk,she finally had a "legitimate" reason to quit smoking.
Well...at least there's still 4 surviving Star Trek cast members that are doing well,which makes me feel a bit better.
 Undecided Smiley

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:05:40 AM by elwoodblues91 » Logged
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:45:21 PM »

Smoking is just the worst thing one can do to themselves. And every time I drive past a school and see all the kids lighting up, I shudder. I quite in my early 30s, but my wife persisted until she had a very bad bout of pneumonia at 60. She now has severe breathing problems.

Interesting, isn't it, the number of behaviors which harm no one but are illegal ... yet booze and cigs are just fine.

Time to play some music Smiley

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »

My brother-in-law is in hospice at the age of 63.  A heavy smoker for years and it finally caught up with him.  His one lung is cottage cheese and he only has 5%-10% capacity in the other.  Because of this his heart is in big trouble also!  He is on 40% oxygen now, at a cost of $12,000 USD a day!

I'm so glad that I quit cigs 40 years ago!

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »

Consumption of tobacco is a calculated risk, as are so many other enjoyable/stimulating things like alcohol, caffeine, sky-diving, ocean kayaking, auto racing, and crossing a busy street.

Some of us engage in these habits and remain relatively unscathed - others succumb to the inherent dangers.

Regardless of the circumstances of his death, I feel privileged to have enjoyed Mr. Nimoy's contribution to our culture and his craft. He is a vibrant example of humanity in its most positive and creative form.

elwoodblues91
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:29 PM »

Consumption of tobacco is a calculated risk, as are so many other enjoyable/stimulating things like alcohol, caffeine, sky-diving, ocean kayaking, auto racing, and crossing a busy street.

Some of us engage in these habits and remain relatively unscathed - others succumb to the inherent dangers.

Regardless of the circumstances of his death, I feel privileged to have enjoyed Mr. Nimoy's contribution to our culture and his craft. He is a vibrant example of humanity in its most positive and creative form.

I don't agree,that cigarette smoking is a "calculated" risk.As I see it,engaging in cigarette smoking,is a compulsory act,caused by the innate desire to fit in socially(to be part of a group) and as such,that feeling of being accepted...along with the acquired addiction to nicotine,overrides one's ability to even assess the ill effects,of smoking....at first,that is.
Anyone who is new to smoking,despises the odor & taste of cigarettes initially and yet,most people persist in this activity and consequently,the only real enjoyment,is the illusion of being a part of a social construct & satisfying the lust for your next nicotine fix.
For most people,cigarettes are a daily part of their life and the reality is,that the cigarette companies are the socially acceptable drug dealers and the cigarette consumers are the socially acceptable drug addicts.
Whereas with caffeine,it is largely a healthy habit(even on a daily basis),provided that it comes from a natural source(namely coffee) and the amounts of consumption are small,to moderate.
Coffee actually promotes healthy liver function and prevents Alzheimer's disease.Even energy drinks are healthy(provided that the ingredients are organic & the caffeine content,is at a healthy level).
As for alcohol,I would say that(like caffeine),alcohol is another good example of what is actually a calculated risk,because in small amounts...beverages like beer & wine are healthy,in that they are replete with anti-oxidants & can be consumed on a somewhat regular basis,without any ill effects.
Comparing smoking to something like crossing a busy street,is erroneous and just plain silly,in my opinion.Reason being,is that crossing a busy street(to get to work,for example),is an absolute necessity and is relatively safe,provided that the street is crossed with caution and that everyone is in compliance with the traffic laws(in which case,such an act is completely safe).
In the case of the cigarette,there is no real necessity for it whatsoever and absolutely no health benefits to speak of and for virtually everyone that smokes in the long term,will suffer any number of diseases from it and for every single smoker out there,their lives will inevitably be shortened...to some degree.

I am as well,very grateful that Nimoy has been around as long as he has & I will forever be marveled at his accomplishments over the years past,but I can't express enough,how much I abhor smoking,because it's one of the resultant dangers of conformity.
To put it another way,so many people are willing to destroy their health & shorten their lives,just to try and avoid the subdivisions of society...while also inflicting the ill effects of secondhand smoke on other people and the government does nothing to outlaw what I consider to be,the most useless and one of the most troublesome substances out there.
Alcohol certainly has it's fair share of destructive capabilities,but with much more stringent laws in place,I think alcohol could be relatively safe...if effectively moderated on a large scale.
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »

Not to turn this forum into a health blog ... but I just stumbled across this article.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/03/cigarettes-a-product-that-kills-two-out-of-three-of-its-users/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+All+content%29

Please, if you still smoke ... QUIT.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: