Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:19:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain (England)  (Read 9071 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: August 04, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »

Well, this is my response to a washed out holiday in the middle 1990s.

This was in England where we are experts on rain Smiley

* Rain.mp3 (2973.22 KB - downloaded 295 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Katzafatz
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:31:40 AM »

Hi Foderol,

I think this is a beautiful depressive song. Only the reverb is a bit too much.

Katzafatz
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 01:33:19 AM »

Hey Folderol,

I agree with Andreas,the song does have a nice melody,but a bit too much reverb,as there was some slight distortion I heard through my monitors.

About a quarter of the way through the song,I was hoping for a bass & drum track,but nothing heavy,just something to give more structure to the song-as I think it would really dress the song up nicely.

Elwood

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 06:35:40 PM »

Thanks for your comments guys. It is actually quite a long time since I listened to this critically, and I must agree that there is too much reverb, certainly on the first part.

->elwood blues
I'm surprised about your comment about bass. There is a bass line that comes in quite early. It is a very smooth instrument so maybe it is too indistinct. It would probably disappear on headphones.

I will have to look at this again.

So much to do... So little time...

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »

Ok. I've just completed a whole remix of this. I've changes some of the instruments, made the bass more prominent and dropped the reverb level.

So do you think it is an improvement?

* Rain.mp3 (2934.13 KB - downloaded 306 times.)

- Will
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:45:15 PM »

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody has commented on the changes. It doesn't even look as if anyone has downloaded this remix Sad

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »

"nobody has commented on the changes"
 Huh
I think our other members are 'not English' so do not recognise the nuances of our particular type of rain!  Wink
Personally, I think you have nailed the atmosphere quite perfectly. This is a wonderful piece of music, and yet another one which I will be squirrelling away to, someday, play my real instruments over (if I can ever find the time)

Keep up the good work!

James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:43:55 PM »

Thanks very much.

Unfortunately the weather seems to agree with you. It woke me up (otherwise i wouldn't be here this time of night!)

- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »

Ok. I've just completed a whole remix of this. I've changes some of the instruments, made the bass more prominent and dropped the reverb level.

So do you think it is an improvement?

I did not listen to the first posting so I can’t comment on if this is an improvement or not.

But I will say this was EXCELLENT!  You have a very nice blend of sounds and melodies.

If I may ask what were your sound sources for this?

This was top shelf - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:08:19 AM »

It is an improvement, mix sounds very clean now

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elv

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »

The new mix does indeed sound cleaner, but I liked the first version better for some reason.
Great melody
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 06:38:07 PM »

Thanks a lot for all your comments guys.

-> MarioD
The Vibraphone (2nd lead) and the piano at the end come from a SoundCanvas (original 1991 model) all the rerst are produced by ZynAddSubFX. Recently I posted a zip file of the instrument patches I created, and some of these are used in 'Rain'

A sequencer was used purely as a free-form MIDI recording device and no timing correction or quantisation was used anywhere. I just kept recording new tracks against the old until I got it right, then deleted the crap Smiley However, in this latest version I slightly shortened two gaps between 'verses'.

-> elv
Sometimes you just can't win  Huh Ah well. Just keep whichever version you like. I'm a born squirrel so can recreate either quite easily Smiley
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:42:25 PM by folderol » Logged

- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »

A sequencer was used purely as a free-form MIDI recording device and no timing correction or quantisation was used anywhere. I just kept recording new tracks against the old until I got it right, then deleted the crap Smiley However, in this latest version I slightly shortened two gaps between 'verses'.

VERY impressive - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: