Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:14:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What a Wonderful World-instrumental  (Read 8107 times)
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« on: November 14, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »

I decided to do an instrumental of What a Wonderful World.  Using my wind controller I played the lead with a Bari Sax; I was trying to emulate the Satchmo rasp.  The strings I played on my keyboard controller and I programed the drums.

Any comments are welcomed.

* What a Wonderful World.mp3 (4095.98 KB - downloaded 244 times.)

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »

Now that's a challenging one, being so iconic.

Very nice playing. However I thought the strings didn't fit too well in places

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:46:55 PM »

Sorry, but this one I just don't like.

I think the strings, etc are just fine. But the bari patch ... oh my ... it needs a lot of work. I don't think it's your playing, just the patch. It sounds as much like a bari sax as my singing does to Mel Torme (if you have every had the misfortune to hear me sing, you'll know just how silly a comment that is).

Are you recording midi or audio? If midi, then could you take that and run a different patch?

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:01:36 AM »

Thanx Will for listening and the constructive criticism.  This piece of music has had a lot of different responses.  Some like the strings and some don't while others like the bari but some don't.  I will take a look at those strings when time permits.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 12:05:38 AM »

Thanx bvdp for listening and the constructive criticism.  This piece of music has had a lot of different responses.  Some like the strings and some don't while others like the bari but some don't.  I will take your advice about the bari and when time permits replace it with a Tenor, i.e. it is MIDI.  It's funny that the bari is from SampleModeling's saxes.  This comes with bari, tenor, alto and soprano saxes and are supposed to be the best.  Are you sure that it is not my amateur playing technique?

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:30 AM »

Hmmm, patch or player? Honestly don't know.

What control do you have over the sound? You're on a EWI USB as I recall ... so you should have lip vibrato and you have the up/down pad for the right thumb. Were you using these?

Bari is a tough inst. to play as a solo inst. Yeah, guys like Mulligan do it. But, they are eons ahead of both you and I combined!!

Could be that the register is too low? What happens if you bump it up a 3rd or 5th? Might be worth playing with.

BTW, this is a wonderful song and I've played it many times. Here's one I did many years at a party (crappy recording): http://mellowood.ca/music/recordings/index.html#rainbow  And here is a live vid with not-the-greatest singer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkghfDeZ4aU

Maybe I just want to hear it like I play it Smiley

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:15 PM »

Yes I have a EWI USB and yes I did use both the lip vibrato and up/down pad, but not often and not too pronounced. 

Mulligan was a master at the bari for sure.  I'm just a beginning hacker.

Bob, you are one talented musician.  There is no way that I can play it like you play it!

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »

Yes I have a EWI USB and yes I did use both the lip vibrato and up/down pad, but not often and not too pronounced. 

Mulligan was a master at the bari for sure.  I'm just a beginning hacker.

Bob, you are one talented musician.  There is no way that I can play it like you play it!

You are much too kind. Thank you.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »

Bob, I swapped the Bari for a Tenor and emphasized a couple of pitch bends. What do you think of this one?

* What a Wonderful World ver 2.mp3 (4129.66 KB - downloaded 229 times.)

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 01:41:02 AM »

I think this is a heck of a lot better!

A couple of suggestions (and they really get into personal taste ... but, that is the only kind I have):

1. Try to bring the sax up, out in front of the strings a tiny bit more,

2. The vibrato (from the pitch bend) is way too thick. I'd dial it back to about 90% of what you have here.

As always, you need to think what a "real" sax would sound like. And if I were to play with the much vibrato my teachers would hit me on the head with a 2x4 Smiley On the other hand, if you are trying to make a modern or electronic statement ... I don't know, maybe it's fine. Just not my expertise Smiley

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »

Bob, thanx a lot for those constructive tips.  As a guitarist I do bend the strings a lot thus that is where the wild vibrato comes from thus I must correct that. 

In high school I was a first chair trumpet in marching band and first chair French horn in symphonic band and I played the trumpet in rock/funk bands until my asthma forced me to stop.  (I now have 100%lung function back and I'm am learning the wind controller.)  But I have absolutely no experience with wood winds so the help that you are giving me is  tremendous. 

Thanx!

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »

Best advise I can give to anyone is to just keep on playing!

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »

Best advise I can give to anyone is to just keep on playing!

I agree BUT you must keep on playing/practicing correctly and that is where your advise comes in handy.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »

Very much improved  Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 02:30:10 AM »

Thanx Will

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: