Kara-Moon Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:47:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First try at "Dark" from Mick  (Read 20072 times)
Mick Emery

« on: August 03, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »

This is not only my first attempt to try "Dark", it's the first song I've done completely on my own.
I had an idea for a song & decided to record it in Power Tracks.  I used the drum beat as a metronome & liked it, so I kept it in.  Everything else was played on a keyboard ( I'm not a keyboard player...obviously ) except the sax played on Synthophone.  I'm tickled that I even got it to sound like a song!!

I'm not sure about the mix, I've been working so constantly on it I have ear fatigue.

I'd appreciate any criticism.

When the sun recedes behind the mountain
Shadowy arms grow long across the field
They push the light away
And suddenly...
Darkness Falls

Mick

* Darkness Falls.mp3 (3808.16 KB - downloaded 399 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:18:39 AM »

Hi Mick,

Your song as it is now,just sounds like an idea that needs to be worked out.
the timing errors are pretty apparent,not much structure & nothing really seems to blend at this point well.
It's clear to me that you are a seasoned sax player & to be fair,I know all too well how difficult it is to do everything yourself-which is why I rely heavily on quantizing,as I could not achieve what I've done without it.

The thing with my arrangements,is that I have been doing everything on my own using keyboard workstations for the last 17 years and even still,I'll spend alot of time fumbling a solo-because one can obviously not quantize such a piece of music.

Also,half the songs I record are not organic and sound very "machined" by some-which is a fair statement & a very honest one.

I'm speculating that perhaps you are trying too hard on this song & maybe taking a break to decompress and start on it again when you are fresh would produce better results.
I know that for myself,if I am not inspired or if I intially rolled with a idea that excited me,but that I worked too hard on it to try and complete usually did not pan out for me until I woke up the next day and/or gave it a rest for a bit.

I did venture into your website and I listened to the first song "The Nod" and I enjoyed that one very much.I felt that your soloing in that song shined & overall,the song has a really nice hook to it & it was very relaxing.

I thought that The Nod really encompassed the ideas,thoughts & atmosphere that inspired that song. Cool

Elwood

Mick Emery

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:43:22 AM »

Hi Elwood,
Thanks for posting.  I think you're right.  Just after I uploaded the song, I realized it was much too premature.  I'm really burnt on it.  I had it mixed nicely, at one point, & then screwed it up. 

I'm going to take a break on it & re-try at a later date.

Mick

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 08:10:56 AM »

Mick,

That is cool! Don't mess with it too much, because I think you're almost there.

Those funky little downward steps seem out of character with the rest of the song. If you replace them with some of that sweeping orchestral stuff you used at the end of the song, I think that will put the frost on your pumpkin.

Primo synthophone action, too!

Oren.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »

Surprising Mick
When you joined here, I've listened to all the songs on your website and 'classified' you as jazz-easy listening artist  Wink
This is a whole new road you take and very interesting, I like it.
You realy should work a bit on this, it has great potential !

Some comments on the song itself :
I agree with the comment of Oren
And I didn't realy hear timing errors as elwood stated, it is lived played
Good melody !

I'm realy looking forward to the final version of this

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Mick Emery

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »

Thanks Oren & Kara!

I'm going to take a day or two off from this, but I have some thoughts.
The "funky downward steps" Oren mentioned (triplets) need to be softened some in the middle of the song.  I bowed them too heavily and I think the ones at the end need to be brought in line with the feel of the song. (eliminated as triplets)

Some of the tremolo strings get muddy. (organ effect)  I'm going to try a different patch.
I also need to get the contrabasses, celli & violas organized better.
I'm trying to mix/blend this as a symphony playing, and the notes I've been reading about string placement don't seem to produce the effect.

I don't hear timing issues either.  I have some heavy anticipations on parts & some hesitations on others, which is what I wanted.  Now if I could just get these guys in their seats & playing their parts right!!!    Roll Eyes  LOL

Thanks for taking the time to listen & for your comments.

Mick
P.S.  When I finish it, will it overwrite the mp3 when I upload?

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »

I listened to the song again very intently & it seems to me that the drum bass notes are off slightly.But if two people are saying they don't hear it,then perhaps
my observation is incorrect.I just know that playing drums on a keyboard in real time without quantizing is very tough to pull off,at least for me it is.

The drums are the backbone of a song & if something is a bit off,it's noticable,but again,I am the only one that hears it,so maybe I'm wrong.

Mick Emery

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 03:28:19 PM »

Hi Elwood,
The drums are the only thing I didn't do.  The drums were created by Power Tracks. (fill track with drum pattern)  I only had it as a metronome, but decided to keep it.

Thanks for listening again,
Mick

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »

You definitively has to continue to work at this song Mick.
It's a real strong one  Cool
I could add just one comment, it's to short, 1min. more would make it perfect.

I hope this isn't your last try at dark....

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Mick Emery

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 04:32:07 PM »

Hi Kara,
Funny you should mention that....
I was working on an idea for a verse with French horns & the like.(on the Synthophone)  I need to find the right sounding horns & see if I can get them to play against each other.

Many of my songs are inspired by what I observe on my "estate".  I, literally, live in the place of the dreams of my 10 year-old self.  I was on the phone, while on my bedroom patio, with Bob Hunt as I watched "darkness fall".  I felt the song right then.

"Above The Treetops" is one I started about the red-tailed hawk that lives here also.  But I could only get 1 verse.  I think it may be considered "dark".

I just love to play.  I wish I had today's technology 40 years ago, but I will enjoy today what my Higher Power has provided me, for the time I have left.

I am honored that some like my music.

Mick

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 12:28:15 AM »

Mick,

I said I like YOU...

OK , you music is cool, too  Wink

Give this pup just a little more attention. I want a finished copy for my collection of best tunes from the "Shadows".

Come through for me, man...

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »

I second the motion.

This is a cool song, Mick..stay on it, man!

Wyatt

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »

I just got round to listening to this one.
Really cool song, man.   The structure is superb, and yes, it needs to be longer.  The sax sound is wonderful. I agree with other comments about progressing this one further.  It has real potential.
 Cool
James

Mick Emery

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!!!!

I know I said I needed time away from this, but I can't seem to break free.  I feel addicted.
I spent 4 hours Saturday,14 on Sunday and 3 today.  Here's your extra minute!  ROTFLMAO
There are 6 added tracks of French horns & Dark horns, 2 tracks of oboe ( I have a much greater appreciation of what oboe players do now, they're not easy to play - even in emulation) & 2 of bassoon. (all Patchman patches)

I tried to make this sound like an outdoor concert played in a shell in a valley.

I had TONS of problems, until I hard-wrote the tracks.  PT/computer kept freezing up on me.

Oren,
I tried to re-work the celli, contrabasses & violas to soften them, and Power Tracks won't allow it.  I even tried cutting a measure to re-do and all the other tracks go out of sync.  For now...this is it, but I would like critique to work on at a later date.  I'M FRIED!!!!  Cry

Thanks for all your feedback & encouragement.
Here's the latest.

Mick

* Darkness Falls.mp3 (5188.13 KB - downloaded 298 times.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:52:33 PM by Mick Emery » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »

Fried, Mick?

I think I'd prefer you scalloped, or maybe roasted with garlic and sage...
(must be hungry Undecided)

You've done some cool stuff here, once again! It's a little bit thickly layered in spots, but you can cull when your ears heal up.
If it were my tune, I'd just cut those two little awkward areas out ("cut - use smooth audio cuts - close gap") so the song flows seamlessly without them.

Someday you and I will have a chat about how mood can affect a machine. I've seen it too many times in my own work to discount the phenomenon as coincidence. Bottom line - as you become irritated/confused/overtired/wired-on-adrenaline, your equipment can be fundamentally affected and malfunction or act in bizarre ways.

There, I've said it  Roll Eyes.

Your favourite whackjob,

Oren.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: