Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:58:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pretty Decent Midi Violin sound via Wind Controller  (Read 6113 times)
2010jazz

« on: August 04, 2007, 07:21:47 AM »

I've just uploaded a song called Silver Bay (one of the demo songs from PGMUSIC that comes with BiaB 2007 I think).  I play the melody with the Akai EWI400s using the Ketron SD2 Violin and then the "Breathy" Tenor Sax.

As many of you may have found, finding a really decent solo Violin Synth Patch is not easy. Most of them have no resemblance to a violin whatsoever. My favorite Violin patches were confined to the Orchestra Expansion card #2 (for Roland JV1080 etc.) a pretty obscure source and probably getting scarcer by the minute. The Roland HQ Orchestra (soft synth) Violin is pretty good but a bit out of tune I think. The Garritan Personal Orchestra's Violins are ok, but not as rich, or as responsive, to my ears at least, as the Orchestra Exp #2 violins. The Garritan Personal Orchestra Cello -is however the best I've ever played.

Imagine my delight when I discovered that the Ketron SD2 has 2 or 3 very good Violins. Playing the solo violin convincingly is difficult, and quite different from playing winds or brass with a wind controller. The problem comes from the inability to produce the characteristic effect of bowing. I've gotten better with practice (attack, legato, slurring), but still, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I think I've done a better job on the violin for Silver Bay, than for the  Lady is a Tramp (uploaded in my artist section). Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dan

* Silver Bay _DS Tong SD2 Violin, Tenor Sax 28jluly07.mp3 (1927.09 KB - downloaded 390 times.)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 07:45:12 AM »

That Ketron sounds very good !
Of course as a musician I know that most of the sound comes from the way of playing it, and you are very good with that Akai EWI.
The lady here plays a WX5, so I'm used to listen to windinstrument players Smiley and I know when I hear a good one.
Actualy one of my favourites, which I did a couple songs with is Bob Hunt, I'm sure you know him

k

PS : Enjoyed Brussels in the Rain  Cool

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
2010jazz

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 07:17:52 PM »

That Ketron sounds very good !
Of course as a musician I know that most of the sound comes from the way of playing it, and you are very good with that Akai EWI.
The lady here plays a WX5, so I'm used to listen to windinstrument players Smiley and I know when I hear a good one.
Actualy one of my favourites, which I did a couple songs with is Bob Hunt, I'm sure you know him

k

PS : Enjoyed Brussels in the Rain  Cool

Thanks very much for your encouraging words Kara. I can't disagree with the fact that better playing will always, other things being equal, result in better performance, but what I have found amazing is how much one's performance improves when the sound you get out of a synth is good. I'm really inspired by getting a good tone, which is responsive (has good dynamic range, responds to different types of attack etc.).

I suppose a really good patchy allows one much more EXPRESSION, which is what we are all trying to do.

When I play a poor sounding patch with  the same technical and musical abilities I have -it sounds like crap and it is depressing and totally boring to me.

Anyone else have this experience?

Thanks,

Dan
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »

The 'playability' of the instrument is always a big part of having fun. It's no fun struggling along trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I've been there..
 But a good player can make any sound better by his ability to get the most out of it thru playing it as realistically as possible.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »

Hi Dan,

You have one really good sounding unit there in the Ketron.

Not only was that a very good sounding, as well as very accurately played violin but the sax was also excellent.

Bob was correct in stating a good player, which you are, can make a mediocre sounding patch sound better.  However I’m like you in the fact that a very good sounding patch inspires you more.  It seams you can get more out of it.

Keep up the good work - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: