Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:37:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast plectrum strums and RTime.  (Read 1650 times)
sciurius

« on: June 25, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »

When using RTime with Plectrum strum, the randomisation is applied to each of the individual notes.

The attached image shows the notes of a typical strum without RTime (1) and what happens when RTime is applied (2). When the strum is fast the randomisation can effectively lead to a change in the order the strings are hit which I do not think is appropriate. For a fast strum, I think it is better to maintain the individual order of notes, but displace all notes with the same, random value (3). This corresponds to real life, where a slow strum may lead to slight time displacements in hitting the individual strings while in a fast strum there will be (little or) no individual displacements but the strum as a whole may be displaced.

Alternatively, a correction can be applied in situations where stringn+1 would sound before stringn.

For a slow strum, where the strum time is significantly larger than RTime the current behaviour is okay.

What do you think?

* scrot20210625082907.png (12.93 KB, 1246x206 - viewed 298 times.)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:05:10 PM »

Perhaps a command to insert a random delay at the start of each bar? Or a <insert random delay here> marker in a sequence which would push everything to the right? Don't know how that would work in MMA syntax or in code, but is an interesting idea.

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
sciurius

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »

I don't see how that would solve the problem at hand, given that the sequences involved are strum sequences.

I think we need to distinguish two cases:

If the strum value is <= 2*rtime: calculate a random displacement and apply this to all of the strings.

Otherwise (current behaviour): apply a random displacement to each of the strings.

But again, the issue is minor...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: