Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Audio Connection Kit  (Read 32974 times)
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 12:57:41 PM »

That 'life used to be so simple' part is what I keep thinking as I follow this thread..

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 06:41:27 PM »

It's an odd feeling, moving off in a direction where most of your previous skills, information, and habits are no longer applicable.

The only thought that allows me to perservere in this and learn the new tools and techniques, is that I plan to do this computer music thing for a very long time. Investments in new skills and more versatile tools seem a little less formidable in this context.

Without taking the idea too far into the psycho-social realm Cheesy, entering highschool in the late '60s provided a teenager with the opportunity to be 1)eradicated by an atomic bomb, 2)catch a life-threatening venereal disease, or 3)have one's life hoplessly controlled by big-government/big-business. Prospects were dismal. Some kids grew their hair long, sang protest songs, wore beads and platform soles....and then got a degree and went to work in a bank.

Others actually believed there is a fundamental problem and opted out. No point in thinking long-term or making plans for the future when we were all going to die or become slaves to Big Brother. So, the strategy: do what you could in the moment, and let tomorrow take care of itself...
Those of us who managed not to over-dose or expire from abject depression in the course of these activities now understand there is a sane option no-one cared to point out to us - live small, act thoughtfully, and cultivate those skills that help raise the living experience beyond the mundane. Oh, and, plan long-term, because we're going to be here a lot longer than we thought.... Shocked

Learning Linux is just a small example of a committment to something better that becomes possible when one decides that they are in this for the long haul.

Of course there's always the possibility that I'm horribly deluded...  Wink

Oren.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:44:52 PM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »

Welll, adding my thoughts, life was never as simple as you thought/remembered it.

When the musician picks up a guitar, quickly tunes a couple of strings then 'just' plays, does he remember the months and years of struggle before he could even strum a clean 12bar pattern?

A lot of what I do on the computer is semi-automatic now, but it certainly wasn't at first! I have the slight advantage that I actually got where I am very slowly: piano, organ, hardware synth, MIDI & sequencer, full(ish) computer control and softsynth.

Ouch. Just realised the whole process took 40 years!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 07:21:08 PM »

Will,

Whatever gave you the impression I can tune a guitar or play twelve bars  Wink?

Linux is a constant irritant, in that whenever a choice between a cheesy (and easy) option and a high quality, fully-featured, integrated alternative comes up, the open-source environment invariably steers the newby away from cheesy/easy. Which means a lot more work, accessory learning, and a grasp of the bigger picture. (not so with windoze, where in many cases, cheese dominates  Cry)
I've been charging around here, trying to find some shortcuts, some low-maintenance options, something easier (cheesier?) than going with the whole enchilada - and with Linux, it just ain't happening. Are those who find  Linux too complicated, or not user-friendly, just accustomed to the half-measures which are so available from microsoft? Man, do I miss HotStepper, right now... Cheesy!

Oren.

P.S. I've managed to create a meaningful relationship between JACK, Hydrogen, and the M-Audio 2496 card. Introducing the family to Audacity, while keeping the latency as low as possible, is the next task.
Rosegarden won't load into Ubuntu Ultimate due to a dependant software conflict, but I'm thinking the real reason is that I don't particularly want to get into sequencing and synthesis. Play my guitar instead, and maybe re-equip with an electric bass (I had chops at one time  Undecided).
Hydrogen is the most complete percussion package I've ever encountered...schweet Afro!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:09:17 PM by Oren » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 10:05:25 PM »

And when do we get that 'Linux' wedding tune here ? Cheesy

k

... I've managed to create a meaningful relationship between JACK, Hydrogen, and the M-Audio 2496 card. Introducing the family to Audacity, while keeping the latency as low as possible, is the next task.
...schweet Afro!

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 10:26:58 PM »

And when do we get that 'Linux' wedding tune here ? Cheesy
k

How about NOW  wOO?

* Looking for Bonham.mp3 (228.16 KB - downloaded 365 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 11:56:59 PM »

So who is the Bonham guy?

Which kit were you using?

Where's the guitar? Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 12:44:25 AM »

Will,

The kit is UltraAcousticKit - just a random selection of sounds for this little exercise.
Hydrogen is capable enough to allow a guy who has always loved percussion (but never seemed to develop the necessary coordination Undecided) to craft a very artful performance with out actually having to pick up the sticks and start thrashing. Wink

John Bonham is a dead Englishman... Cry
 His percussion style is, to my ear, the signature sound of Led Zeppelin. John's son, also a Bonham, has a similar style and sound, and has toured in his father's stead with Zep.

My guitars are in a closet... for now  Roll Eyes

Oren.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:53:45 AM »

Hi Oren,

Whoaoo am I ever glad to hear sounds from your Linux!  I can only imagine how large a project this was..way to persevere!

Sounds as though you might be able to select whatever percussion sounds you want and put them just where you want to.

I do like that everything is sounding so very life-sized.

Thanks for the updates.   Grin

Wyatt

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 01:07:16 AM »

That's a sweet sounding kit there.
 And without a doubt, Bonham ruled the rock drum world with authority for many years..
Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate other drummers, but for rock Bonham was hard to beat.  The last album he did ('in through the out door', I believe) contained some of his finest, IMO  there's a 12/8 tune on there that has some absolutely killer fills  and grooves in it. The song I'm thinking of takes off in doubletime towards the end, then settles right back into the original groove with some AWESOME drum fills.  Wish I could remember the name of it..I hate this 'sometimers' disease.. some call it CRS for 'Can't Remember Sh**'..now I gotta go search the net for that song; it'll be quicker than searching my album collection..

**aahh found it- Fool in the Rain  wow what drumming

youtube has a few excellent clips, including a couple of just the drums from this recording session (Fool in the Rain part1 & 2; quite cool as you can hear his headphone feed every now and then)
There are a couple full versions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mws9rDmhePI
Man that brings back memories..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:57:28 AM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 09:09:39 AM »

Thanks for the "Fool in the Rain" clip!

Here's a more cohesive drum thing using random variations in timing and velocity to simulate a live drummer.

* On Bonham.mp3 (228.16 KB - downloaded 374 times.)

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 09:16:09 AM »

Yeah we have a linux musicbox that is realy alive now  Cool
Those drums sound good !

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »

Ooh yeah  Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »

Will,

The kit is UltraAcousticKit - just a random selection of sounds for this little exercise.
Hydrogen is capable enough to allow a guy who has always loved percussion (but never seemed to develop the necessary coordination Undecided) to craft a very artful performance with out actually having to pick up the sticks and start thrashing. Wink

John Bonham is a dead Englishman... Cry
 His percussion style is, to my ear, the signature sound of Led Zeppelin. John's son, also a Bonham, has a similar style and sound, and has toured in his father's stead with Zep.

My guitars are in a closet... for now  Roll Eyes

Oren.

I thought it was that kit. It's the one I prefer for the highly limited percussion work I do.

I really am very bad at recognising names of people in bands, I mostly just think of them as a whole entity  Undecided

Just don't let your fingers get too soft!

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »

I thought it was that kit. It's the one I prefer for the highly limited percussion work I do.

I really am very bad at recognising names of people in bands, I mostly just think of them as a whole entity  Undecided

Just don't let your fingers get too soft!

Yes, I think the most useful kit, for a natural drum sound.

Today's the day to get the guitars back in action - I have two projects which have been languishing during "In A Spin"; both require some guitar injection...
Plus, an electric bass is about to make it's way into the stable - work, work, work  Cheesy!

Oren.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: