Kara-Moon Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:33:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack Audio Connection Kit  (Read 32973 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 09:06:15 AM »

Will,

What's the lowest buffer you can use with JACK before the x-runs start?

It seems I need to dial in a the buffer setting all the way up to 1024. Even at that setting, an x-run will occur periodically...

Also, what's the best way to get JACK to recognize and include a new audio software tool?

Thanks in advance,

Oren.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »

This really should not be happening.

I stick to 256 frames /period and 2 periods/buffer. This gives me an overall latency of 11.6 mS. I have tried it at 128 frames, and quite a lot of things will work OK, but not zyn. As you have a better speced machine than me I would have expected you to get better results. What apps are you running? Have you tired hooking one out and seeing if it makes any difference?

I just did a check, and running two compositions (one after the other) that are most likely to cause problems. I got no xruns at all.

One of them uses the soundcard with roland sound canvas, as well as zyn, hydrogen, qsynth, rosegarden, meterbridge & time machine.

The other uses just zyn & rosegarden, but the zyn parameters file has a heavily multilayered effect, and at one point I watch the processor usage climb to over 80%!

#######

It's not up to jack to recognise other programs, but for them to announce their presence to jack! Some only half do the job, so you have to manually make the connections in qjackctl. Unfortunately there a some apps that don't have any RT provision at all so you can do nothing about that.

There are a few however that will talk to KDEs arts sound system. Now here you can get sneaky, because in the KDE setup (can't remember just where now) you can send arts to jack instead of the sound card Smiley

This is effective as soon as the KDE base system is installed, even if you use gnome or some other desktop.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »

Hmmm....thanks....

OK if I masticate for a while?

Later....
So, there is a tutorial that walks me through a set-up incorporating Zyn and a simple sequencer called Seq24, plus Ardour and Hydrogen. All connected through JACK.

Zyn is too cool; I can't leave it alone, and apparently I'm not ready to get back into electric bass. I'll run through the whole tutorial, tweek judiciously, and report back. Thanks again for your able assistance. (I'm going for 128 frames Grin)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:03:45 AM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 11:42:42 PM »

Just did another check on an older single core machine (sempron) and I need 512 frames for that, which gives 23.2 but got 1 xrun Sad

Never tried Seq24 so can't comment on that.

Ardour I found rather confusing, and as I don't really handle any 'pre-built' audio files I left it alone.
Heh. I may need to ask you abotu that at a later date Wink

I'm convinced Zyn is female.

You can never fully understand it Huh

It steals away hours of your time Undecided

It can throw a massive hissy fit Evil

... but oh the joy it gives Grin

Now I can't remember if I put this up before, but just in case, here is a zip file of the patches I've created or modified (they go in the 'banks' folder)

* Collection.zip (197.51 KB - downloaded 359 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 01:07:01 AM »

Just did another check on an older single core machine (sempron) and I need 512 frames for that, which gives 23.2 but got 1 xrun Sad

I have 2 X 3gigahertz and 4 gigs of memory, so things will move along plenty quick when the dummy gets the setup right....

Never tried Seq24 so can't comment on that.

They say it's good....simple=good Cheesy

Ardour I found rather confusing, and as I don't really handle any 'pre-built' audio files I left it alone.
Heh. I may need to ask you about that at a later date Wink

I'd prefer to work with Audacity instead....

I'm convinced Zyn is female.

You can never fully understand it Huh

It steals away hours of your time Undecided

It can throw a massive hissy fit Evil

... but oh the joy it gives Grin

(you're a brave man for posting that Mr. Folderol)

Now I can't remember if I put this up before, but just in case, here is a zip file of the patches I've created or modified (they go in the 'banks' folder)

Thanks! I'll score those puppies and raise them up right.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 01:08:47 AM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »

So,

It looked rather dismal latency-wise (JACK would get spontaneous x-runs just sitting there on its own... Tongue), so I began to wonder about the kernel. Did some reading, then some tweeking. As far a I can determine, although the kernel was successfully compiled as real-time 64 bit, no-one had thought to initialize the real-time feature. Four commands in a terminal was all it took.

Now, JACK sits there rock-solid, Hydrogen joins in at 128 frames, with only an x-run when the new player arrives on the scene. But more importantly, JACK has begun to make the connections to the soundcard and ALSA PCM utility automatically...it never did that before Huh.

Further to the weird Linux vibe: my inclination was to set up a bare-bones system consisting of Audacity, seq24, a simple beat machine, and a no-frills synthesizer - just to get me in the pilot's seat without too much fanfare Roll Eyes. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

Trouble is, this open-source software just begs you not to settle for second best. ZynAddSubFX sounds so good, Rosegarden has every imaginable sequencing feature, Hydrogen is as good as any live drummer I've ever worked with, and Ardour will do absolutely everything one would expect from a professional DAW (plus a few functions I've never even heard of). It's like the Christmas morning after your parents won the lottery.

And all you have to do is read the manual 

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 09:54:36 PM »

Ah! That would rather explain things Grin

Full marks to you for digging in and sorting things out.

It's just a shame you had problems with 64studio. All this is done by default (yes I know I'm being a bit of a fanboi).

I principally run two machines at home these days. One is for my office and web work, and has no RT support and only basic audio apps, compatible with all the usual browser crud. I think I've only had just one total system crash. That was my own fault as I was playing with the video resolution and trying to push the graphics card too hard.

The other is purely for music, and has 64studio on it. The only non-music thing running is the network so I can upload software updates and move files between the machines. I've even disabled the printing system to keep it as clean as possible. It's been running for about a year now and has never crashed. Zyn has got her knickers in a twist a few times and has had to be X-killed but otherwise it all seems to be really smooth.

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »

Today, after messing with various combinations of ZynAddSubFx, Rosegarden, Hydrogen, and Ardour, JACK is finally making sense to me.
But, the sequencer/synthesizer thing is really starting to put a twist in my nickers Undecided, so.... I shut her all down, re-started JACK, fired up Ardour, and recorded a stereo drum sequence from Hydrogen. Played air-bass and made like Geddy Lee. Big smile Grin

This may be an appropriate time to leave the synth stuff to our resident techno-wizards, and re-visit the electric bass. I can deal with four strings and 21 frets. Really Cool

http://images.google.ca/images?q=geddy+lee&hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&hs=TMd&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:20:38 PM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2008, 07:46:09 PM »

Maybe a break is a good idea and a return to what you're familiar with, but don't give up mate. I'm sure you'll 'get it' eventually.

Just had a thought.

Did you realise you can get a MIDI keyboard to talk directly to Zyn?

Just set the routing in qjackctrl Grin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:48:15 PM by folderol » Logged

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 07:55:49 PM »

Thanks, Will!

The keyboard thing is tempting, so I can play "Let It Be" and "Chopsticks" over and over Roll Eyes. Seriously - I never could develop an affinity for ebony and ivory.

I'm learning that, with something this large (Linux audio applications). sooner or later a person has to specialize.

Audio mastering and stringed electric instruments are my specialties. Now I'm just throwing in this fabulous beatbox that came with Linux as an unexpected bonus. Life is sweet(especially if you recognize your limitations) Cheesy.

Oren.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 08:00:52 PM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »

Even if you don't know Jack:

http://potw.news.yahoo.com/s/potw/61785/how-to-become-a-rock-star

Grin

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »

Enthusiasm+marketing skills+pop song hooks+production/recording/computer chops=a career in professional music.

The guy is good!

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »

Didn't you forget 'and a lot of luck' here ? Cheesy

k

Enthusiasm+marketing skills+pop song hooks+production/recording/computer chops=a career in professional music.

The guy is good!

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2008, 11:48:13 AM »

The guy is good!

Sometimes success is a matter of making the best use of what you already have. Audio skills and a good guitar finger is pretty solid ground imo.

I like song-a-week..good pressure..'voice' finder.

I like what he did to go from making no money to making money..that's. why. I. posted. it.

Wink

Wyatt
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:27:51 PM by Wyatt » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »

Well, kudos for what he's achieved, but it wouldn't suit me.

I can't even manage one song a month let alone one a week, and I can go much longer without inspiration. If I had to come up with ideas in order to pay the bills then (for me) it would take all the magic out of it.

This exact thing happened when my electronics hobby became my job. It's only now (as work has eased up on the electronics side) that I'm starting to enjoy it again.

- Will
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: