Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:43:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Roland Fantom X6  (Read 15725 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 09, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »

Someone in another forum was kind enough to take the time to effectively explain in meticulous detail,just how flawed the Alesis Fusion truly is.

More specifically,I was inquiring about the audio recording section of the keyboard & not only is the midi/audio sync function inoperable,the audio recorder alone,is so
ass backwards that it is useless altogether.
You do not even have the ability to listen to what you've previously recorded and play along with it at the same time so as to add another track-so in essence,you're recording blindly!How absurd is that?!!

To sum it all up with the Fusion,it is a pleasure to work with if you do computer based recording,or just live performances-as it has fantastic synth engines & tweakablity-but apart from that,it's totally useless as a self contained workstation-because it's nothing more than a performance synth and to pay even just a grand for it is ridiculous.

I got a headache just reading through a 173 different complaints regarding the topic of the bugs in the Fusion-and that is just one of several categories-from just one forum!!!!

My advice for anyone looking towards the Fusion to use as a workstation; RUN FOR YOUR LIFE...SAVE YOURSELF!!!

Now to the real topic at hand....I began researching the Roland Fantom X-6 and even though the Roland Juno G is a spin-off of the Fantom & a cool retro synth-the Fantom X-6 is absolutely stunning & very well put together and laid out seamlessly from what I've read so far.
The price is right and it is perfect for completing my studio,as it's a fantastic hybrid of an audio recorder/sampler/synth and I am just blown away thus far over it!

Elwood

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »

Just did a 'google' on the roland, looks pretty impressive. I always did like roland kit too !

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:32:16 AM »

It puzzles me why so many American keyboard players avoid Kurzweil, a respected American brand. Very capable, full featured, and one of the few electronic sound devices still manufactured here in North America. Is there something wrong with it?

My guitar/vocal processor(Digitech) is made in Utah, the software and microchip designed in Canada; two of my guitars(G&L) are made in California, and the third one(Godin) made in Canada. Whenever feasible, I buy an item from the closest possible source - preferably from a friend or neighbour, to support them in their efforts to make a living. That's one reason I use PG Music recording software: their offices are just across town from me.

If I was a keyboard player, and lived in North America, Kurzweil would be my first choice. Not a giant multinational corporation, but real musicians, making real pro-quality instruments. Am I missing something here?

Thom, you live in New Jersey, within easy driving distance of the Kurzweil factory up there in Massachusetts. Why buy a board imported from halfway around the world, when you can get a world-class unit from someone in your own back yard?

Oren.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:30:25 AM »

I do agree that Kurzweil make great musical equipment and keyboards.
Wether you buy from all over the world or just local is a personnal decission and I understand both point of views...

But, Oren, you will have to admit that between choosing a Kurzweil or a Roland you don't exactly play in the same game  Shocked

The average price of a Roland fantom X6 is around 1200,- $
Now if you would like something equivalent from Kurzweil, you'll have to opt for a K2600 , average price : 4.200,- $  Shocked

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »

Is the Kurzweil worth the extra money? I don't know keyboards well enough to evaluate.

Kara, would you own the Kurzweil or the Roland/Alesis/Korg if money was not the deciding factor? Would the Kurzweil outlast the cheaper alternative? Sound better? Be more upgradeable?

My G&Ls sell for about $2000.00....seems like lot Grin. Until you've spent 10 years with one and it still looks and plays like new - and the guy who bought the $600.00 Yamaha at the same time has trashed it after changing pickups 8 or 9 times, trying to get "that sound" (that the G&L had all along).

As time goes by, I realize that you never regret the money spent on a fine quality tool. (I have another one being delivered from Seattle this fall - a Legacy Special - oo ya Cheesy) And you never regret supporting your friends and neighbours; it all comes back to you sooner or later.

This world can feel like a cold place, and buying a quality instrument from someone nearby who cares enough to do it right, is one small way to help warm it up!  Smiley

Oren.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:30:36 AM by Oren » Logged

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:28:26 AM »

True, I agree Oren but....

Let's change the subject to cars  Grin
Mercedes is one of the best cars in the world.
Now if I want to buy a new car I have a certain budget, and if a Mercedes doesn't fit in my budget I won't buy a Mercedes....

Agree ?

k

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 11:30:06 AM »

Well, I always say: you get what you pay for, or at least most of the time...

Kurweil is a great synth and sound different than Roland.

I agree, if you compare a Kurzweil with a Roland or Yamaha on a technical basis, that you will somewhat feel that a Kurzweil will be expensive. But a Kurzweil is a different kind of breed...
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »

I have bit of a problem with expensive toys^H^H^H^H tools Smiley

Taking the car comparison, I drive a cheapish Skoda, It's OK, gets me about and to work. When I get the chance really enjoy going down narrow country lanes, bumping through puddles. Sometimes the banks are so close the shrubs rub against the paintwork and make a few scratches. I don't think it'd be even possible to get a Merc down some of those roads, and I'd never dream of trying.

Until I inherit a few millions and can buy a different car for each occasion I'll be sticking to the Skoda.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 09:44:54 PM »

Oren,

I absolutely love Kurzweil & that would be my first choice-without any question or debate,as Kurzweil is a brand that I know before I even hear it,that I would be happy with owning one.

I don't have the funds to buy one,and if it was possible for me to find a bank that would issue me a credit card-I would jump on the Kurzweil K-series in a nano-second!

Kara,

I don't know much about euro currency,but in the U.S.,the cheapest Roland Fantom X6 is $1,995.00.
If you know of a retailer in the U.S. that is selling it for $1,200.00-please pass along the info!! Grin

I decided to take a road trip today & drive an hour to test out the Roland Fantom X6 and I spent the better part of an hour going through all of the sounds.... Tongue
I did not find a single preset program that impressed me..in fact,I think the sounds are very tinny & thin,compared to my Korg Triton Extreme.
A extremely disappointing experience-especially so,since the Fantom seems to be a great recording tool.
It is my opinion that the sound quality of the Fantom X-series is mostly hype on paper...the proclaimed quality does not translate well to me at all in person.

If the Fantom was $1,200(USD),then I might consider it.

Even if it takes years to accomplish,I will save my money until such time as I can afford a Kurzweil...it will most definately be worth the wait,as thier is just no reasonable substitute for Kurzweil quality.

Compared to say,10-15 years ago,Kurzweil is most certainly a bargain these days,but it's price range is still out of my reach at this time.

I am so relieved that I was finally able to make a firm decision as to what route to take regarding my next keyboard.

Elwood

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 06:58:06 AM »

ouch you are right, i've mixed up dollars and euros  Roll Eyes

k

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 01:56:23 PM »

Kara,
Don't they make cars in France any more  Wink?

Will,
Don't they make cars in England any more  Huh?

Moon,
I'm surprised you don't have two Kurzweils  Cheesy.

Thom,
Saving your money for the best possible instrument is always a rewarding experience.
Meantime, you've got that monster Triton to work with - as I understand it, one of the most impressive workstations ever produced. A lot of Korg forum action for getting the most out of your rig, too  Shocked. I'd say you're not too bad off, fella!

Always a pleasure,

Oren.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:04:48 PM by Oren » Logged

kara
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »

Of course they do, France together with Germany are big european car producing countries
There are 2 big car groups in france
> Renault
> PSA (Peugeot - Citroën)

Now guess, who was the most profitable car company in France last year Huh

TOYOTA !  Roll Eyes

ok, i admit they have a construction plant in the nord of france

k

Kara,
Don't they make cars in France any more  Wink?

Oren.

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »

Kara,

I've given up cars as a bad habit, but...Oddly enough, my bicycle is a hand-made Peugeot; also oddly enough, fabrique au le nord du Canada - en Montreal, par mes amis Quebecois. Campagnolo components from Italy. In my opinion, one of the best bicycles available anywhere, at any price.

And only a few dollars more than a similarly equipped factory manufactured import.

That bike has soul  Cheesy!

Oren.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 12:02:41 AM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »

Will,

Oren.
Nope Sad There are a few places where they get in mecCARnno sets (mostly from Japan) and bolt them together.

- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 12:07:28 AM »

Will,

Oren.
Nope Sad There are a few places where they get in mecCARnno sets (mostly from Japan) and bolt them together.

Desperate situation, my man! Range Rover, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Austin, BSA, Triumph?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: