Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roland Fantom X6  (Read 15712 times)
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 07:06:23 PM »

I just caught up with this thread.
I have to pipe up and say I LOVE my Juno-G. I've owned many Roland synths/samplers and this is a very good one.
 I honestly don't know what the Fantom could offer other than another SRX card slot, and possibly a keyboard with aftertouch capabilities.  That was my only disappointment; the lack of aftertouch on the keyboard.  It will respond to aftertouch from another controller or sequencer, but the keyboard doesn't generate aftertouch mesages.

As for the SRX slot I have a 1 gig compact flash card in the PC card slot so I can hold a whole other SRX card worth of sounds on that.
 I also have upgraded the recording memory (PC100/133 RAM) to 256meg, which is plenty for now. That amount of RAM is a half hour worth of recording time. I'd like to get to 512 eventually so I have an hour of stereo recording time.
 It interfaces well with XP via USB and the supplied editor/librarian software...and swaps out 16/44 wav files very conveniently. I wrote a patchmap for Powertracks so I can call up all my 1000 or so sounds from my recording software when needed...  I really like it.  Definately worth the price. 

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 11:25:18 PM »

Bob,

I'm not out to trash Roland-in fact,I actually do think that the Juno-G is an exceptional value,which is why I am so disappointed with the Fantom X,as the sounds of the Fantom were no better to me than the Juno's sounds.
I had once considered the Juno-G-in the interest of saving money,but then I realized that what I really wanted,was the warmth of an analogue synth and I also did not want to comprimise on sonic clarity either,so I discovered that the Clavia Nord Lead 2X which really fits the bill for a grand,despite the fact that it is a completely different animal than a workstation synth like I had originally wanted.

Another problem with the Fantom X that I have,is that the specs read well & the audio demos sound good,but after having spent an hour with the Fantom,I realized that Roland's advertising was mostly hype to me.

I think perhaps our opinions differ with synths because I am, & always have been,a keyboardist and I am assuming that you are mainly,& always have been,a guitar player?

Another problem that I have with Roland,is thier V-Synth GT-which is nearly 3 grand and it is(in my opinion),half the synth that the Access Virus TI is,in terms of overall quality-and the Virus is $250 less than the V-Synth!

A friend of mine several years ago,had a Roland synth(I can't remember the model for the life of me) and I was impressed with it and I have an Edirol field recorder that I love,but lately,I have been consistently disappointed with Roland products and (with the exception of the Juno-G),I have found Roland to be overpriced in general.
What it all comes down to ultimately for me,is sound quality-pure & simple,not full color touch screens or a company that is more worried about how many features they can cram into one unit,rather than focusing on sound quality.

I've been a keyboardist for 22 years and I am on my 7th keyboard,so essentially,I am much more critical of sound quality regarding synths,as I am deeply immersed in this world and it's the only world I know.

As a veteran guitar player as you are,I am certain that you would not make any drastic comprimises in sound quality in your choice of guitars,am I right?

I'm sure you see where I'm coming from and I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about my views with Roland.

Thom

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 01:42:33 AM »

Well ya read me wrong, bit that's not a problem here.
 I've played keys since about 1968 or so.  Back then they weren't quite the same animal we have today..
 I have owned 5 Rolands alone, probably 8-10 all told. My closet is stiuffed with old Rolands.
I like the way Rolands are programmed; they make sense to me. I can not stand trying to create a sound in a Yamaha...and an Alesis is a joke in my opinion. They give you 1200 sounds (or some ridiculous big number), but those 1200 are based on 128 samples (or some other ridiculous small number).  The keyboard itself isn't so bad as far as playing it goes, once you get the feel for it, but the variation of sound after sound based on the same tones annoyed me. At least on the ones I have experience with. I played a couple Alesis in a church band for a few years.
 To me what you get in the Roland is indeed a ton of features crammed into one board, and in my opinion once you know that board you can get amazing things out of it. But I'm not trying to sell it to you. (My parents do that)

I've only played guitar for the last 10 years or so because I couldn't find a decent guitar sample! I decided it would be easier to just pick the dang thing up and learn how to play it than it would be to try to program it..(I was wrong)
 I did give programming guitar samples and soundfontsfonts an honest effort.  There is a guitar soundfont on this site somewhere I contributed by rewriting some acoustic guitar samples into a font...there are a couple guitar players I've heard from that think they are pretty darn godd...for a sample, which has always been the problem. You can tell a guitar sample a mile away usually. Playing it thru a guitar effects box can help with the facade though..

Anyway- I got my Juno-G a few months ago to replace an aging Roland sampler and have been enjoying it ever since.  Most sounds you've heard from me recently were from that Juno.
 I'm currently building a sample library from recordings I've done...drumsets with real piccolo snares multisampled, etc.
 I have fun with it.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 04:42:12 AM »

I find it extraordinary that you picked up a guitar after all those years of playing keys.I never knew anyone who has done that and I admire that quite a bit. Cool

I can relate to being comfortable with a particular brand for programming,as I've always stuck with Korg,but I wanted to branch out and learn something new,by trying out a another brand,just as you took the plunge by learning guitar.

My sales rep at Sweetwater told me that Kurzweil's are very complex & a major learning curve & he did not reccomend one for me,but this did not phase me & I eventually plan on owning one in the future.

If you're Roland completes your studio,then that's cool,but if you ever decide to venture beyond Roland,there is some mind blowing stuff out there.

In recent years,I have done more product research than any other time in my life and I must say,it's been a very pragmatic experience and it has really paid off.

I never really cared much for Yamaha or Alesis myself,but I was always very selective about Roland boards & my general rule of thumb,is that if the program presets don't impress me-then the other features don't matter to me.

This is why I am so utterly taken with the Clavia Nord Lead 2X...despite the fact that it has no on-board effects,it's still sounds amazing and speaking of getting amazing things out of a keyboard..holy hell..that is what the Nord was made to do!

For the most part,a person gets what the pay for and not to put down your board,but it's pretty clear that the bass line in "The Smell Of Freedom" is a Juno-G bass.
I used to own a Korg M1 and it was a fantastic workstation to program & record with,but I could always pick out the M1's sounds when a commercial on tv came on,because there was always a distinctive thiness to the sound.

I'm not doubting that the Juno-G can produce some decent sounds,but my Korg Triton has more convincing bass sounds(for example) & if you want everything in your song to sound convincing,you'll have to spend more money,or just go for a keyboard for the sounds,rather than paying into a workstation.

In most cases,there is a compromise with the quality of factory presets in workstations,as you are paying more for the recording aspect of it,rather than sound quality of the patches.
Even my Korg has limitations,obviously.While my Triton does have natural sounding piano,bass,percussion & orchestral sounds,it's still lacking the warmth & flexibility of a analogue synth.

The Kurzweil K2-series seems to have the best of both worlds,but only in recent years,have they finally done away with floppy drives & I don't understand why thier keyboards only have 48 voice polyphony,which is one of the reasons why I decided to postpone buying one.
I still want the K2661 model,but I want to see what they will come up with next,before I make  move on one.
Roland has always had a good reputation for synth sounds which is why I like Roland,but in today's vast consortium of exceptional synths,I don't feel that Roland is being competitve enough.

Like I had said,the Juno-G stands out in the bang for the buck category,but as for the Fantom X,well,I personally do not want to make a major additional investment in expansions,along with tweaking,just to get the Fantom to sound as good as my Korg.
Some people swear by thier Roland Fantoms',stating that thier piano sounds are better than the competition & some people love thier Yamaha Motif's to death and I say-to each his own,whatever blows your hair back.

It's clear that your having alot of fun with your Juno-G and that's all that matters.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »

I have something in common with rharv, a long time relation with Roland synths.
My first synth was a bass synth, the ROLAND SH101, bought it around 1981 if I remember right. Now that was a bass synth, i still regret that I've sold it...
After that came the Alfa Juno 1, which I replaced with the Alfa Juno 2 as soon as it came out. I bought the PG300 programmer for it and had this synth for over 10 years ! I actually used it until, on a live gig, some drunk guy trew a pint of beer over it and it died... otherwise I would still use it I think.
I allso had a couple of rythm composers from Roland, started with the TR-909, replaced it by the TR-707 because the sequencing was better in that one, added the TR-727 for the latin kits.
At that time I had a hardware sequencer, allso from Roland, the MC-300. Incredible I could actually store my songs, and play live together with some other tracks.
After that came a period where I was looking for some new sounds and bought a DX-7. A legendary machine, but to be honnest I never realy understood the principle of FM synthesises. Luckily there where tons of presets.
In the 90's I was playing a lot live, the hard live of marriages, dancing evenings and balls, those who did it know what I'm talking about... The trick for doing evenings like that is having portable gear that you setup fast and easy. So, I bought a GEM SK760 arranger keyboard. This was a revolution, I had all music styles, could create my own, store it on a harddisk,.... I actually stil have it and still use it on some of my songs. It is still up to date, because it has a sample import, so I can adapt it with new sounds.
After selling some of my old gear, I was looking for a general sound module to add to my GEM. It was at the time that there where 2 big competitors in the market, the Roland XV-5050 and the Korg Triton rack. I was lucky to have them both in test at the studio and finally my old love for Roland won and I bought the XV-5050.
And finally I discovered the Clavia Nord Modular G2X ! My prefered machine, a real modular. I allways say, if you can't build it with the G2X, it doesn't exist.

Next purchase ? I shouldn't know, I have everything I need at the moment and know how to use it  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: