Kara-Moon Forum
June 04, 2024, 02:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Think I forgot this!  (Read 3589 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »

Did you know that there is an anti life force? It is a general force of disorganisation or organisational entropy as it were. As life in general gets more organised a sort of 'pressure' builds up until suddenly the dam bursts and something like this happens.

One Saturday, coming home from a holiday the plane was delayed for over an hour. Then the coach pickup was unusually slow, with me finally getting home around 3am Sunday.

Got up (quite late) Sunday and started the domestic stuff. Washing, cleaning etc. and half way through there's a power cut. Being still not entirely awake it took some time to realise the 'power cut' hadn't extended to my neighbours, so it was a climb down to the cellar (a place of great danger) to find the RCD had tripped and had no intention of being un-tripped.

Dragged myself back up the stairs gingerly stepping round timber/rope/'stuff' traps and I was now looking directly at the washing machine that was sitting smugly in a rather large puddle. Ho-hum. Pulled out plug and went downstairs again to reset trip. Of course, the screws holding top of the washing machine in place were well rusted and required considerable persuasion to remove.

The design of this machine is very interesting. It seems that if a hose fails, no matter what side the failure is it ends up spraying water on the outside of the drum, where it the runs down (logically). Therefore it would surely not be a good idea to have the (unprotected) heater connector at the exact lowest point of the drum.

Some struggle with hoses clips (also rusted) and various scraped knuckles, followed by a couple of hours with a fan heater brought everything back to functioning again. So after some late lunch and a with a cuppa I thought I could have a nose around the forums.

Computer fans start, then immediately stop. However, after each attempt the fans seem to run longer, then eventually keep running. Sadly, no other sign of life. Hmmm, did I remember to backup before I went on holiday? Out comes the toolbox, off comes the cover. +12V - check, +5V - check. Hang on, if the supplies are up how come the processor is stone cold, as are the North and South bridges. Ho-hum (again) drag out a spare 'puter and fillet it's PSU, trail wires outside - they are still like that actually - Success! I'm on the 'net. the world has not stopped after all, although I feel a bit guilty about letting an entire mug of tea go cold.

Later in the evening I thought I really should fire up the DAW - different machine - and get a bit of keyboard practice. Argh! No sound *@%$& Fortunately this was just the anti-life having a last giggle I think, as it was simply a plug having dropped out... but how do they do that? Stay in place happily for months, then magically slip themselves out and hide behind a bracket.

I'm not going to say everything is OK now. I wouldn't dare!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »

Will,

The humour with which you entertained each of these seemingly compounded incidents is probably the ingredient which kept the sequence just perplexingly inconvenient, rather than escalating to tragic or life-threatening.

Time and again, I have witnessed people absolutely trash the laws of probability - either experiencing a run of dismal bad luck, or completely waltzing through a difficult situation with no skill or experience to explain their success. And it seems the only unifying theme in these unlikely scenarios is the mindset of the participant.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:08:26 AM »

I've had somewhat similar problems....but something that has been ongoing for years,in my apartment building....which was unpredictable & intermittent power outages.
As it turned out,there was a malfunctioning transformer in the electrical box outside my building and it required a catastrophic event that was Hurricane Sandy,to finally prompt management into action. Roll Eyes

So then...in my neck of the woods,the universe has rebalanced itself & it is now unfolding as it should. Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

So then...in my neck of the woods,the universe has rebalanced itself & it is now unfolding as it should. Grin
Grin Cool Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: